Better way to manage issues coming from the helpdesk?

Trent kendall April 11, 2013

We have JIRA tied to our helpdesk system, whenever a helpdesk ticket is deemed to difficult or not the right fit for the helpdesk they xfer it to JIRA where one of our Project Managers is watching the "Helpdesk" jira project. Based on the issue this PM will then re assign the issue to the correct "project" At this time they will also assign the issue to the correct PM for that business area and also set two other custom fields we use called Business Area and Project Name.

We have 4 PM's each of which are in charge of one of 4 business areas. I am wondering if there is a better way to transfer issues from the helpdesk project to the correct PM and auto set the other fields based on the PM we are assinging to. Right now the moving and reassigning process takes too many steps for my liking.

Here is my vision: I am monitoring the helpdesk project and I see an incoming JIRA that I know belongs to Sam. I choose the Sam "template" and the JIRA will automagically get assigned to Sam, it will be moved to Sam's project and the Projec name and Business area fields will also be set to the fields I setup for this Sam template. I would setup 4 of these templates, one for each PM we have.

Thanks,

Trent

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2013

Hi Trent, I thought this for a while and the way I see there's only a way, not pretty though.

You can have an issuetype for every PM, so you will have 4 new issue types. The names can be the same name as the business area.

Then you will have one new workflow per PM issue type, and in the create transition you will configure to add the values that correspond to the fields business area and project name.

When the other PM recieves this issue he can change the issuetype to the one that should be, or just use that issue type, it depends on you.

Trent kendall April 11, 2013

That is a pretty good idea the only problem is that the only way to edit the issue type is to "move" the issue and that is the 3 step process I was hoping to eliminate somehow. We currently have to go through the move process when changing the JIRA from the Helpdesk Project to the more specific Project that the JIRA is dealing with.

Thank you very much for the suggestion but I am not sure it will save enough work to justify the change.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2013

Well in fact when a issue is created in one project the only way to have that issue in other project is to move it.

Other way can be duplicating the issue, using the Script Runner plugin you can create a listener that when an event is fired in a workflow that will create an issue.

If I'm not wrong in that why you can create a transition in your help desk workflow that will fire an event. When this event is fired, the listener will create an issue in the other project.

I think that will be a lot of coding...

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 12, 2013

I remember now that I'm using a plugin called CustomWare JIRA Utilities. This plugin has a workflow postfunction called Copy Issue Function that Copies this issue into a new project and issue type. This could be a solution.

Suggest an answer