Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best approach to deploying Atlassian and other applications

Chris Flynn February 15, 2016

We have multiple applications running on our application server. Below is the list of applications. Is there a recommended best practice on dividing up the deployment of these applications? I was thinking of breaking them up over 3 application servers with 1 database server, but I wasn't sure of the best way to group the non-Atlassian deployments.

Applications:

• Apache – > proxy sever for all below apps
  • JIRA
  • Confluence
  • Crucible/Fisheye
  • Bamboo
  • Subversion
  • Nexus

Potential option:

• Server 1: Apache & Confluence
  • Server 2: JIRA & Nexus
  • Server 3: Crucible/Fisheye & Subversion & Bamboo
  • Server 4: Database server

1 answer

1 vote
David S. February 17, 2016

This is similar to what I determined by reading Atlassian's docs. We're not using Nexus, but do use Bamboo, Jira, Confluence, Stash and a separate datbase server (Postgres).

We have them all on separate virtual servers, with the database having its own set of disks for performance. The number of users we have is low, but if we grow, its easy enough to allocate more resources to the VMs.

It would be great to hear from Atlassian folk on the topic since the docs were not definitive as to the best practices of such a setup.

Chris Flynn February 17, 2016

Thank you very much for the response. It is good to know others are implementing a similar solution. VMs allow us to have this architecture of one server per app, it just seems a bit wasteful to me. I would think one server should be able to handle more than one application.

David S. February 18, 2016

I'm not sure if you've looked at a `top` of the system while its running, but I've seen bamboo chew up 300% of the CPU before (100% being 1 core, and we don't even compile anything). So, I can understand why they would recommend separate systems. Kicking off a build/deployment on Bamboo could hinder the performance of Stash/Jira/Confluence if they were on the same machine. Atlassian does provide for installing them on a single machine with the way the installation folder and port configuration is structured in a default install scenario. But, if you have a beefier machine, say something 8 core or up, you could definitely run them together. Though, if you used a VM or container, you could ensure one app wouldn't degrade the others. HTH

Chris Flynn February 18, 2016

We are just getting into using Bamboo, so thank you very much for the help. Since setting up VMs and allocating resources to them is pretty straight forward I should probably stop figuring out ways to fit more stuff onto one server. Older way of thinking, I guess.

David S. February 18, 2016

I disagree with the older thinking bit - you're trying to be resource efficient, which is the best thinking anyone can do. (and its a key trait of senior level positions) wink

And NP with the help, I'm just relaying what we've already gone through, so I'm glad it helps someone!

Chris Flynn February 18, 2016

@David S. – thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events