Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bamboo(4.4.5 build 3507) Auto Merge with Branch updater

Daniel A Hopper April 9, 2013

Currently in my setup I can successfuly able to have branches automatically created from my Git repository and the associated Branch Plans automatically created and this works great! I have the defaults set to do automatic merging via the Branch Updater approach and as well configured to merge from the Parent Plan and then push onto the Branch.

Based on the documentation it appears to me that the following should happen but doesn't appear to be, and for this sake we'll say that I have the Parent Plan on master and created a branch called feature/A-1 and Bamboo has everything described above configured.

1. Developer commits code to master
  2. Bamboo detects change and builds the master via the Parent Plan
  3. Parent Plan builds successfully
  4. Bamboo then builds the Branch Plan for feature/A-1 since a change happened in the master

Step 4 is the one that isn't happening. Everything else works just fine. if I actually commit something on the Branch feature/A-1 then the Branch Plan will run merging the master first running the plan, then on success pushing the master onto the branch feature/A-1

I would expect based on the documentation that any changes to the master would also cause the branch plans to run if configured using the Branch Updater

Automatically merge changes from the team's master branch into your feature branch, after a successful build of the master branch.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 10, 2013

The documentation is incorrect - as you've already noticed, the commit to master does not cause a rebuild of all feature branchers that use Branch Updater. Only a commit to the branch, or an explicit branch build run will cause the merge.

Daniel A Hopper April 10, 2013

This seems like it would then be a good feature then, should I add a Jira issue for it?

Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 10, 2013

Yes, please do.

1 vote
Marcin Gardias
Atlassian Team
April 10, 2013

I think you can work around this: In your master Plan define the repository twice. The trick is, Plan Branches only override 'default' repository, so if you define your master branch twice, all the branches will do change detection on both their own branch and the 'master'.

It's not exactly what you want: it will cost you some of the performance and the branches will not wait for the master Plan to be finished, but it's an option.

Yes while this would work it does have the 2 main drawbacks that you mentioned. Basically I believe that the branch plans should be able to operate just like the dependent plans.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events