BUG: User mention notifications use Jira global email instead of Project email address

Taber Loveless
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 12, 2013

JIRA BUG:

All user mentions email notifications have 'from' address set to the global jira email instead of the issues project email

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Marcus Silveira
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 12, 2013

Hi Taber,

I'm not really sure that is a bug.

The way JIRA works now is that, the project email will only be used by the notification scheme set on the project.

If you set a subscription, share an issue/filter or mention an user on a comment, JIRA will use the global email to send the email and set the user email as the 'reply to' field on the message.

We could create an improvement request to enable administrators to choose this settings.

If you'd like that, please let me know what you believe to be useful.

Hope this helps,

Marcus

Taber Loveless
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2013

Jiras 'standard' behaviour is to use the project email when avail then fall back to the global config email. What makes these notifications 'special' that they ignore this established pattern?

Yes, if you feel that this is a needed capability then an improvement needs to be made.

I would also advocate that the 'default' is to use the project email and only use global email if admin overrides this via a setting.

Also, I do understand why sharing a filter would use the global email (as I could contain issues from many projects) but when dealing with issue notifications, it should use the established pattern.

0 votes
Kirill Bobrovskikh
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 12, 2013

Hi Taber,

We have fixed this in JEditor, the fix is in testing now.

Kirill Bobrovskikh
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 17, 2013

Fixed in JEditor 1.5.36

Taber Loveless
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 20, 2013

Alex, not sure if this is a Jira limitation or JEditor but if I mention a user via WorkLog comment then a notification is NOT sent at all.

Kirill Bobrovskikh
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 20, 2013

Looks like JIRA doesn't allow to mention in the log work field (work description).

We will look into the details and add the support for this field if possible.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events