Auto update a subtask when the parent is updated WITHOUT post function?

Moriah Chandler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2014

I know I can set fields for subtasks based on the parent during creation. However, when I change the fixVersion for the parent, I want all of the subtasks to be updated also.

I have JJUPIN, ScriptRunner, etc installed and I want to use a listener to achieve this so that it doesn't require a postfunction.

Every script sample I have seen only updates the field when the subtask itself is changed (not the parent) - example:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/155302/how-do-i-default-the-value-of-a-sub-task-field-to-the-value-of-a-parent-field

I have tried to modify the code, but I am not a developer :(

I have also tried to use a SIL listener but get the same result - the subtask fixVersion is not updated when the parent issue is changed.

The SIL listener:

if(isNull(parent)) {
   fixVersion=customfield_11901;
} else {
   fixVersion = parent.fixVersion;
}

(The customfield_11901 is a string that contains the Sprint name because our fixVersion = Sprint and we don't want to have to set that field manually.)

Can anyone help please?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Moriah Chandler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2014

Here is what we ended up with - using SIL:

fixVersion=customfield_11901;
if(isNotNull(parent)) {
   return;
}
for(string subtask in subtasks(key)) {
    %subtask%.fixVersions = fixVersions;
}

Where customfield_11901 is a string field with the sprint name.

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2014

You need to do the listening the other way around. Listen for events on the PARENT issue, then check if it has subtasks, and if it does, iterate through them with updates.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events