Attachment size limit in Confluence 4.2?

ryan mcdonald November 5, 2012

Is there a limit to file size of attachments in Confluence 4.2?

I know there is a default setting that can be changed for larger files, but haven't found a strict number limit for what can/can't be uploaded or attached.

We'd LOVE to use Confluence for our Wiki, but we need to regularly upload presentations and art files that top out at a few hundred Megs, easily.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2012

Hi Ryan,

From Confluence point of view, there are no size limit in the of attachment size as you have mentioned it is configurable. However you should take the following things on your consideration

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

ryan mcdonald November 5, 2012

Thanks Septa!

The response as to why there is a limit was that "uploaded files get indexed and it hurts server performance significantly when they get too large".

How much of a concern is that?

I've found threads about 2GB-5GB files being uploaded without any problem. Would Confluence be a good alternative for an Art Repository with many files ~1GB being uploaded and versioned?

Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2012

Hi Ryan,

Currently we do have a reported bug report that Confluence is not able to handle more than 2GB of attachment:

Less than 2 GB Confluence should be able to handle it fine. In regards to your indexing query, may I know what kind of file format are we talking about? If it is a picture then it should not be a problem as Confluence will only index its name instead of the content.

If it is pdf or office document, I highly recommend you to disable attachment indexing to avoid Confluence to index the content of the documents which would take a huge load of resources if the attachments file is that huge.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

Vijay Krishna B
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 12, 2014

Hi Septa,

We are storing the attachments for our confluence instance in a file system.Is there any size limit restrictin in this case also?(Since,you have mentioned the size limit of the database)

Regards,

Vijay

Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 12, 2014

you can use Confluence attachment limit. Plese refer to our documentation here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Configuring+Attachment+Size

Vijay Krishna B
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 14, 2014

Thanks for the reply,

I know the configuration of attachment size in confluence.

What is my doubt is as you said confluence has a problem when we upload the attachments more than 2GB and when it is stored in DB it has a problem of connection time out.

As we are storing the attachments in filesystem.Can i give 10GB as attachment limit.Will this also gives any problem.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events