Atlassian onDemand f***ing slow!

Hey,

my customers and myself having serious problems regarding the page loading speed of atlassian onDemand products. Even loading this site took 12 seconds.

This problem exists since weeks now, sometimes onDemand is unusable!

Our companies are based in Berlin, Germany, we use different ISPs.

Do you share the same problem, or is this problem limited to Germany only? Does anybody know the email address for the technical support?

Best,

Paul

40 answers

+1 to this question because it's not just slow, it's FUCKING slow. I've had this issue from MULTIPLE machines, MULTIPLE ISP'S, MULTIPLE browsers, and for MULTIPLE on demand instances at MULTIPLE companies.

Atlassian. Stop blaming other shit. It's your fucking shit that's slow. Get this bullshit together.

15 votes

Yes, you're not alone.

See https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/143420/ondemand-products-are-very-slowamongst several others (I wave at that one because it's got a range of comments, locations and things to look at on it. Doesn't really solve anything, but it's lots of info)

Hi Nic,

thanks for your fast response!

I will take a look if there's something which solves the issue.

Over the last few months it has gone for slow to unbearable.  It is rapidly getting to the point that it's unusable.  

If there isn't an official comment here I think we're going to have to jump ship.

same problem here, also in Berlin! sometimes better, sometimes really worse, up to atlassian saying "Page load failed" bc it takes so long. Doesnt matter if I am using my corporate laptop and coporate network or private macbook on private network.

Pls make this work!!!

Been running slow for months in Denmark. Today it gor really bad. timeout when trying to view backlog, and extreme latency when loading pages. 

Same problem here in Colombia (South America)

Get more adecuate vz servers and better public routing to host this services.

I have to agree. I am in Melbourne Australia on a 40Mb connection and it is horribly slow. What is the deal?

Same problem here in Japan on super fast line. JIRA, Agile Board, Confluence, everything takes 5-15 seconds to load. It's a joke in today's day and age.

Starting to look around for alternatives.

Still the same - run the Server version or find a partner who can host it for you.

Hi Nick, I'm sorry, I don't quite understand - do you mean that even other alternatives (Write, Plan.io, etc) will all also take 5-15 seconds to load, and thus the best recommendation is to run our own Server version? If so, we just migrated from our own hosted Redmine because we didn't want to run our own servers. I thought it would have been a reasonable thing to expect Atlassian to be able to host their own service the best, rather than to find yet another provider hosting JIRA. Thanks for any other guidance you might have.

No, I mean it's worth thinking about running Atlassian stuff yourself, but it's also worth looking at providers other than Atlassian. Cloud doesn't work for you, but there are plenty of other people providing hosting.

Sad news. We used to host all of our Jira instances ourselves, but it got so slow, I decided to move everything to onDemand because they would do it better, right? NO! It's as slow, if not slower at times. Only difference is, we don't have a server that runs out of resources any longer that I need to maintain. Jira is written in Java, which is a known resource-hog. It's such a pity because Jira is a real great system, it's just unbearably, unusably slow.

To be fair, it's probably lack of resource, or not tuning the installation that is the problem on the server. Cloud has performance issues for a lot of people, and the usual response is to move to Server (self hosted or by a third party) so that it can be tuned and fully resourced. There are plenty of large installations where JIRA is fast. I suspect part of the problem is that the standard installation is intended as a low-usage demo and most people don't think about scaling it up.

Slow here in the US....

Same here in Salzburg, Europe. We have a hosted JIRA instance form Atlassian and it IS very very slow. Any comments from Atlassian? 

+1 we are experiencing regular slow downs in last few months. This is real issue for the team. We are based in Warsaw, Poland. It would be great if Atlassian comment that issue.

+1 same here in London, UK

Just started a trial and it's really slow...hmmm..

It's taking an hour and a half to pull a project off Bitbucket in Warsaw, Poland on a 130mbps connection.

July 2016:

Still ridiculously slow in USA. Tested on multiple ISPs, with multiple JIRA instances over the past few weeks. Sometimes takes over 1 minute to load a page. Sometimes loads with CSS broken, other times with errors on the page - then have to reload all over again.

Slowest website I visit regularly.

5450861488.png

Joris, give it up mate. Atlassian doesn't care, and they have this nice gentleman Nic to answer their questions for them to tell us it's our issue.

We've stuck with JIRA and just accept the 20 sec page loads as the price to pay for a system that has the functionality set we need. I'm still waiting for someone to post some recommendations on another system that can handle customized workflow and has integration with Zendesk and other support ticketing.

Sorry there's no answer, at least in this channel

Indeed, although I don't do it for them at all. 

You could argue that it would be better for me to tell you to move off Cloud on to your own servers, which you do have control over, as my company helps people out with doing that sometimes, and does hosting.

But I don't - I try to help, by getting people to work out what the problem really is.  So far, when people have investigated properly, it's down to poor config in a couple of cases (which would cripple a server install JIRA as well), and then network latency and firewall issues in all of the others. 

As I've said before, you still have options:

• Investigate the problem properly.  All I'm saying is that yelling "it's slow" is useless.   Time it, compare it, show what bits are slow - is it the client machines, the network, or the Cloud servers?  How do you know?
  • Raise an issue with support.  They'll help you run through the step above if nothing else.
  • Think about running it yourself or get a third party to run it, then you can control the hardware, location and network
  • New option for some of us - Atlassian are looking at data centres in the EU (Ireland in the last informal conversation), which may help with latency for some places.  But that may be some time before it appears.

Hey Nic,

Do you have any recommendations on getting through Atlassian support? I've been working off of a ticket for two+ months and they haven't given me any troubleshooting steps or anything beyond providing har files. 

I'm not necesarrily blaming them Atlassian - it could be our configuration. But I've asked for tips or anything they can see in our configuration that would cause it being slow, they suggested one thing which I resolved.

Any documentation you can point to as well to optimize jira, what specifically causes issues to load slow, etc would be awesome as well. I'm frustrated with the cloud instance because I can't look at logs, I can't see any errors, I can't really see anything to help me pinpoint what could be causing the issue.

Part of it is to look at what is slow - have a look at the different page load speeds, and ideally use browser developer tools to see what's taking time - is there a chunk of javascript taking ages for example.

Can you compare it with similar data loaded on to a local system?  This is a bit intensive though, as it is going to have a different speed and what you need to look at is relative times - what you're looking for is not "local page loads 5 times faster", but "this part of the page takes 10% of the load time locally, but 80% when done on Cloud"

Don't neglect upload speed either.  There's a more simple check you can do on that, by picking a file close to the upper limit you've got set for uploads and timing the process of attaching it.  Ideally watching the network throughput, as there's only two parts to an upload - file transfer and JIRA processing it once it's there.  If the transfer finishes (i.e. upload throughput drops) and it still takes ages to finish attaching it, then you have shown it's the server side that is struggling.  This is one test that proved a couple of clients I've had were having network issues - turns out the upload speed was so slow, Cloud was always waiting for data from the users, not "cloud is slow"

One of the easier config ones to spot is permissions.  Does it take a long time to get to an issue view, but the admin stuff seems relatively nippy?

As you can see, all of this feeds into "what is slow?".  You need to be able to answer that question wth a lot more than just "everything", because the simple response to "everything" is always going to be "it's your network connection".  Because you haven't ruled it out.

With the support response, I'm not sure.  I've usually had a decent response from Atlassian, albeit with a bit more back-and-forth than I'd find ideal.  However, I only have experience with server support, I've never got to a point where I've needed Cloud support myself.  My team have a couple of calls ongoing at the moment, but they're migration related and very different to "something is wrong" calls.  I've also not made heavy use of support since I joined a partner.  All I can say is "keep nagging"

Finally, yes, not being able to see logs is a pain.  Even if there was a simple download/viewer for them, it would help, because there's a lot of times we have to say "raise a call for something we think is probably simple, but can't be sure without logs".

It's also slow in Phuket Thailand. When comparing with Trello and Wrike then it there is some work for Atlassian to handle. Speed is very important and when long loading not will solved then customers will look around for other solutions including myself. 

Slow here in Auckland, New Zealand as Well. Started running slow about 1 day ago.

Other cloud apps running normally. Hope this is just a temporary thing.

Just to spread some hope around. Speed came back to normal after two days. Actually, faster than before. I believe it progressively slowed down, to an acceptable level. Stabilised over months, then had sluggish days (2 or three) in a row, almost unusable. After that, fairly responsive. So... there's hope (at least to some of us!!!)

I've been running JIRA in our own server in AWS for years. This week I decided I no longer wanted to deal with updates or server maintenance, and I wanted something faster, as JIRA's been feeling slow lately, and I think it is the server. So I tried to migrate our JIRA Server to JIRA Cloud... what a surprise. The performance is definitely a deal breaker for us. It is just too, too, too slow. In comparison, our T2 Medium instance in AWS takes 8.16s to fully load our kanban board, while JIRA Cloud took 59.40s to fully load the board. Our server's time to first byte is 222ms, while JIRA Cloud's TTFB is 21.18s.

So for us, JIRA Cloud is not option. My small instance feels quite fast now and I'm staying with JIRA Server until the performance of JIRA Cloud gets way, way better.

EDIT (Jan 2nd, 2017):

After speaking with support, I reactivated my JIRA Cloud instance, and now JIRA Cloud is responding as expected, with no change made by the support team and no change made on my side. So maybe the issue I had was a transient issue with my instance or just plain bad luck. Now the performance of JIRA Cloud is the same or better than my EC2 instance with JIRA self-hosted.

As for suggestions on how to deal with a slow Atlassian Cloud account:

1. First, make sure you rule out any local issues that might be affecting your connection to Atlassian Cloud. Try connecting from a different network and if possible, a different ISP. Try also connecting from another computer and from another browser. Make sure other cloud applications are not also having performance issues.
  2. Once you have ruled out any possible local problems that are under your control, give the problem some time and test later. Perhaps, your Atlassian Cloud instance is having a transient issue that Atlassian is already working to resolve, or perhaps the route from your location to Atlassian's data centers is also being affected by a temporary issue.
  3. If you continue to experience bad performance with your Atlassian Cloud instance, do contact technical support. They told me there are several things they can test and do to improve the performance of your account, but most importantly, they were extremely open about testing the instance for performance problems and making sure your instance ran as expected. In my case, I did not need any changes to my instance, but as mentioned in the comments, there could very well be a specific problem affecting your instance, that Atlassian will be more than willing to investigate and resolve.

So if you are experiencing a slow instance, and you have already ruled out local issues and given the problem some time, reach out to Atlassian's support, as the platform is not slow at all. It actually performs very, very well, but it CAN become slow for any number of reasons (besides local connection issues) that Atlassian will happily look into.

<sigh> Could you read the core of the discussion please?

Nic, 

I did. I read every single comment to see if I could find anything that would help me, as well as other threads you linked to. Not sure what is your issue with my comment. The core of the thread is that some people find Atlassian Cloud products extremely slow, and I'm one of them, so I just added my experience to this thread, which is a very relevant thread to my problem. I'm not complaining, just adding some information that might be useful to others. In my case, I'm staying with my own hosted server because JIRA Cloud is way too slow for me. I also decided to add some numbers which I thought were relevant, as they show it is not something on my side that made JIRA Cloud respond terribly slow (as my own small server is over 6 times faster than Atlassian Cloud, with exactly the same data), and instead, seems to be something on Atlassian's infrastructure. Or perhaps it is a problem with the route from my client computer to Atlassian's servers, I don't know.

From your other comments, I understand that JIRA Cloud works perfectly fine for you, and you mention that it works perfectly fine for many users. Unfortunately, as the rest of the comments in this thread seem to also indicate (including mine), it doesn't work well for many others, for whatever the reason. All I know is that In my case, JIRA in my own server, in an Amazon Web Services EC2 instance over 3000 miles away from where I am, works many times faster (for me) than JIRA Cloud.

I'm glad Atlassian Cloud works fine for you and many others. But this doesn't make it any less true that Atlassian Cloud has response times that are way beyond slow for many people. Perhaps we just had the bad luck to be served by a slow server among many super fast servers? Who knows...

And for the record, I love Atlassian and I love JIRA. I've been with them for years, and I'll continue to be with them for many more. I just won't be using their JIRA Cloud service until someone figures out what the problem is.

You are just echoing things that other people have said without adding anything new to the conversation.  There's still no evidence that Cloud is "slow", because you have not shown that it's not your end.  You need to show that it's slow and that it's not your end and/or the network between you and the Cloud servers.

Otherwise, you're just telling people stuff that they already know (and aren't doing anything about on their side), or talking to people who have asked for evidence that it's slow and not answered that quesiton.   Either way, it looks like you have not read the conversation.

I'm not trying to prove that Atlassian Cloud in general is slow, that would be an extremely dumb exercise as I don't work in Atlassian Cloud and I do not have access to their metrics. So asking me or anyone else for that matter (who doesn't work in Atlassian) to "provide evidence that shows that Atlassian Cloud IS SLOW" is asking for an impossibility. But the fact that people cannot provide hard numbers to "show that Atlassian Cloud IS SLOW", is NOT proof that they are wrong either. However, what I can say and provide evidence for, is that Atlassian Cloud is terribly slow FOR ME.

As for evidence that it is slow FOR ME, the only test I could run to rule out the possibility that the problem is on my end, is the test I ran, and for which I posted my results here: I set up my Atlassian JIRA Cloud account with the exact exact same data, and the exact same add-ons that I have in my T2 Medium EC2 instance in AWS, with the self-hosted version of JIRA Server, using the very latest version of JIRA. I compared JIRA Cloud with JIRA self-hosted, from the same computer, same ISP, same Internet speed, same routers on my end, same time of day, etc. That is, everything is exactly the same on my end. The only thing that is different in my tests is the server: one is in Amazon AWS (in a region which is over 3000 miles away from my current location) and one is in Atlassian's infrastructure.

The result: on average, Atlassian Cloud is over 6 times slower FOR ME than JIRA self hosted in an EC2 instance. On average, it takes the EC2 instance less than 9 seconds to serve my kanban board, while it takes 60 seconds for Atlassian Cloud to serve the exact same kanban board.

You are free to make your own conclusions, but my own conclusion based on the hard numbers I could generate from my own tests, is that there is something wrong with Atlassian JIRA Cloud that doesn't work FOR ME, and which is not related to the local infrastructure under my control. This means there is absolutely NOTHING I can do on my side to fix the problem, as my own instance in EC2 and 100% of the rest of cloud applications I and my team use, from the same local infrastructure, exhibit normal performance levels I would expect from any web application, while Atlassian Cloud does not.

Does this help me or you or anyone else solve the problem? No. Is my comment superfluous? Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I can only hope that someone from Atlassian is reading these comments and perhaps they take notice from my numbers and my experience, and do some research on what could be going on here, as I don't believe my problems or the problems expressed by others in this thread, are 100% "on my side".

By the way, my problem is with JIRA Cloud specifically. We use Confluence in Atlassian Cloud and I've never had a problem with it. It is one of the "rest of cloud applications me and my team use", from the same local infrastructure, which exhibits normal performance levels. JIRA Cloud, however, does not exhibit the same performance levels as Confluence Cloud.

I wasn't asking for proof it's slow.  If you'd read the conversation, you'd see that the point was asking to rule out the other things that might make it slow for an end-user in a broad sense, so that it is possible to point the finger at the Cloud servers rather than anything else.  When faced with "my car won't move", you don't start with "well, it must be the engine", you rule out the "no fuel", "no key", "being attacked by a horde of penguins" possibilities before you look at the engine.

The conversations above lack that.  As soon as you ask "could it be something else", they dry up.  No one comes back with evidence.

You have done the same.  It's irrelevant what you're seeing on other sites.  What's the difference between your "slow" connection, and my "fast" one (from Northern Europe, for what it's worth)?

Is your comment superfluous?  Mostly.   Because you have added nothing to the data we have available.  You have done some stuff that eliminates some possibilities, which is a lot more than the others here have, but it's not told us where the problem is.

Bother, I forgot to add.

If you're suffering slowness, then by all means raise a call with Atlassian.  They will investigate.  All the ones I've seen have resulted in clients finding that the problem is not the servers, but that's no reason not to complain, there could be something different about your instance(s)

That's actually a really good suggestion, and definitely, my oversight. In the many years I've worked with Atlassian's products, I've never needed to contact them directly about a problem in my account or my servers, that I couldn't solve researching their help resources, so out of habit, I didn't think about this. But you are right, there might be a problem that is specific to my instance, that can only be solved by reaching out to them. I'll do that and report my findings here.

Thanks.

My JIRA Cloud instance is running as expected now. Edited my answer with my suggestions. And while support didn't make any changes to my instance, they were very happy to help me with my issue and provided a list of things they could do to test and resolve the problem.

So it wasn't the Cloud servers then?

Based on my tests, all I can be 100% certain of is that it wasn't on my side (the local infrastructure under my control). I can't say if it was my JIRA Cloud instance, their servers, their data center, or some hop along the route from my location, but it most definitely was not something under my control. My best guess is that the servers serving my instance became temporarily overloaded the day I ran the tests, but that's just my very own, personal opinion.

The user experience in general is positively excruciating. All Atlassian products have always been miserably, horribly slow and they refuse to do anything about it. Loading this page took 45 seconds. I can only assume they're trying to wear us out from sheer exhaustion so that we do not complain.

I am on a 100/100 mbps connection and its slow but once it loads then its fast. As if the hard drives go sleep and take time to wake up....

Its also slow in Amsterdam (The Netherlands) 500Mb/s connection ;(

I just hope my company quit using Atlassian. It's so slow for a simple jira query.

0 votes

But it's not slow for other people, so the question is why is it slow for you.  And if you can't solve that, then think about self-hosting or another organisation to host for you.

lol, "but it's not slow for other people", prob "the other people" haven't got the time to discover this page while they are waiting for the JIRA page to load.

Hi @James Lin,

Speed appears to have "magically" improved for me. Don't know what happened, but it was after contacting Atlassian support. So I'm just sharing the story here.

During 2017, JIRA Cloud, Confluence, and Jira Servicedesk performance degraded to a point that it was beyond unusable. E.g. 40 seconds wait just to update a label, 7 minutes page load. ALL times. No exception.

I really like JIRA and I championed the migration to it, however this performance made me start preparing the spirit for a painful migration to other tools.

I've raised a ticket with Atlassian Support team and explained how serious the situation was, with a team that was spending hours waiting for JIRA on a daily basis.

As usual, they asked me to perform a couple of tasks and record the logs. I couldn't do that on the same day. Next day, I took some time to reproduce and log the issues, but I couldn't. JIRA was at light speed, I waited another day, and JIRA, Confluence and Jira ServiceDesk were lighting fast. I explained that to support, and put the ticket on hold saying that I would monitor that for a week in order to reproduce the problem. Several weeks later, I decided to close the ticket as JIRA sustained the speed.

It's been more than 4 months now and the problem never came back. I have no idea if Atlassian did something at their end, and I'm not claiming that raising a support ticket will solve the problem. Don't even know if there's any correlation between the speed improvement and the fact that I raised a support ticket. But it appeared to be too much of a coincidence to have that speed improvement on the next day, just after months of consistent performance deterioration.

over 5 minutes to load an empty!! dashboard for a new project - one issue!

You must be kidding me.

You you ever want to grow, you need to consider infrastructure as a huge bottleneck

... and yet again, check your own infrastructure.  Cloud is absolutely fine for a lot of users, which rules out Atlassian's infrastructure.  You're almost certainly raging against the wrong people.

Love JIRA, not raging, just frustrated...
I know when my connection is slow (JIRA is not the only cloud application I use).

JIRA is generally slow to response, but usually not as bad. Today, while I could not experience in slowdown in my connection, JIRA was extremely slow to load. For example - I clicked on the gadget button to add a gadget, it showed me 3 gadgets only after 1.5 minute.

I think You should stop blaming customers, and start looking inward. It sounds like customers for you are just creature that complain, and abuse your product, and it could be so much nicer without.

If me, as a customer, sense that the application is slow, it is not because I ate bad banana last night. It might be because the application is slow.

If it makes you feel better - ignore it. 

Um, I'm not an Atlassian, I'm an end-user of their stuff.

I'm on a different continent and I don't have speed issues with it.  Which means (barring a specific problem with your particular installation), it's not their hardware. 

If Atlassian "look inwards", they're going to find a pile of servers that are ticking over quite happily and working fine for them.  Again, you're raging against the wrong people.

My guess is if Atlassian looked inward, they'd find a bunch of old code that needs optimizing and if they had NewRelic or Skylight hooked up, they'd find out quickly where it is.

But since this thread is so old, it's pretty clear they've gotten so big that they don't have to listen to customers any more. Our only choice is to put up with it and wait for the next better service to come along.

I'm sorry, but that's rubbish.  Yet again, the service is working fine for a lot of users.  They're not seeing 3 minute load times.  It's more like a second for me, and that's a fussy dashboard.

You need to look at the differences between a client who is working ok and the ones that are not.  We're on the same servers, so you need to look elsewhere.

Ah, I see what you're saying. Since it's not slow for others, but it's slow for the people complaining, it's a problem on their side, not Atlassian. 

Yeah, I guess I see the logic there. Having said that, I'm looking at the complaints by the people who have checked that their connection speed is fast.

Here's some things that could be considered.

1. Atlassian has so many users that they're sharded across many DBs in different locations. 
  2. The settings for each DB and location might be different (I've peeked under the hood at larger organizations that started a while ago, and this wouldn't surprise me).
  3. If they're self hosting as opposed to running on AWS, then their outgoing pipes might be slow depending on the location and time of day.

There's a host of reasons why it could be on their side.

The main complaint at least I have is that Atlassian does nothing to address issues like this in these forums. AWS does.

You're still not quite getting it, but that's because you're missing some information.  I've had a client who complained of slowness (more than once).  Using the same system, we had no issues.  We were unable to replicate the problem.

I've heard that Atlassian have seen the same, although I've not been involved.  A client complains of slowness, they look at the client system and cannot replicate the problem.  Because it's something on the client side, or between the data centre and the client's site.

If you're suffering slowness, then by all means raise the call.  All the ones I've seen have resulted in clients finding that the problem is not the servers.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Featured Groups

Tuesday tips & tricks: What is the Atlassian Community?

It's officially Tuesday, which means it's officially time for another tip to help you better navigate this space we call the Atlassian Community. 😄 I got a great question from community member, Sa...

132 views 6 8
View post

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you