Atlassian Sourcetree is so slow, absolutely horrible

Every time i uninstall, reinstall, and load, all it does is free. Horrible! Any suggestions? Nothing in the Event Log, I hear it might be a Git problem. I am supposed to perhaps turn off some kind of filtering. Problem is that the app is too slow to ever click on anything useful. Really need to get some work done/frustrated.

3 answers

What version are you using? If you're using Windows, have you tried version 2.0? We introduced a ton of performance improvements. Check out this blog post that outlines everything we've done to make 2.0 the fastest version of SourceTree yet: SourceTree 2.0 for Windows – 3x faster than SourceTree 1.9

thank you so much for your reply! version is SourceTreeSetup- it does not seem to be a simple speed thing. i install it and run it and immediately the hourglass spinner runs and runs. now and then i can click on it is checking something in the background. it makes doing anything, prohibitive. i honestly don't know what to ask. i heard there is a setting i can change, some filter to ignore unstaged files or something like that, but it is so slow i cannot get any action in. ideas?

Hey David -- can try and install 2.1 and also try the following:

In options, uncheck "Refresh automatically when files change"

In options, uncheck "Refresh when app is not in focus"

Additionally, if you can record a video (that doesn't contain sensitive info), that would help too!

0 vote

Hi David! We need more information to continue helping you (not good to be published publicly, such as logs for example), so we've created a ticket in our Support system in your behalf. You should have received a notification in your email, please check it and follow up with us via the private ticket :)

Hi, SourceTree 2 is also very slow for me. 

Even when clicking tool -> options, it took 30 secs to open the option menu, and then another 30 secs to close it.

My PC is perfectly fine when using other softwares, including SourceTree 1.X, and it occurs on both of my PC so I suppose that its not my PC's problem.

Anyway, I'm willing to provide my logs to you. Can you also create a  ticket for me? (and some instructions on what kind of logs you need.) Thanks you.

If you use submodules you can have big troubles with slow SourceTree work when switching between branches

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Louis De Jaeger
Posted yesterday in Off-topic

Friday fun: your best joke

Hi all Lets make this Friday fun really fun and post one (or more) of your best jokes! The joke can be about an Atlassian product, or just a really fun joke you want to share! I’m not the best j...

57 views 2 2
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot