Atlassian Answers sending undesired notifications - subscribing to messages at will

Kevin Buchs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2013

I'm getting email notifications from Atlassian Answers to questions I have no interest in and have never viewed nor voluntarily subscribed to. When I view my subscriptions I see there are at least 24 pages. Am I getting auto-subscribed against my will? Here are what my settings look like:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/111408049117667107022/posts

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 18, 2013

Go to your user >> Your Preferences >> Email Notification Settings >> Manage. From there you'll see all your subscriptiosns. You have 24 pages of them, going back to a period in 2011. My guess is that it's just some of those posts being resurrected, and that came from a time when you had settings tuned to watch questions with your favorite tags (I say that because when you check dont show auto-subscribe, they all disappear).

There's a 'select all' button on there that'll allow you to bulk delete some of those watches.

Kevin Buchs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2013

I should have mentioned in my original posting that the undesired notifications only started coming in the last month. I went ahead and unsubscribed to all the questions I was subscribed to (beyond the most recent ones I asked on the first page), so maybe that fixes the problem, but I am still not sure why the problem appeared since I did not change my settings or favorite tags in the the last month (or even last year). I suspect something else caused those subscriptions.

Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 18, 2013

It definitely sounds curious, but I can't figure out a reason just from this info (and we haven't gotten other similar reports to get at a trend). We don't have the right historical logging.

I'll keep an eye on this question, please repost if anything else happens. Not allowing easy unsubscribes is an Internet faux pas!

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 29, 2013

I have 370 pages of subscriptions that I can only delete one page at a time! Hmm.

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 29, 2013

If I had a keyboard short for submit that would help

0 votes
Kevin Buchs
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 20, 2013

Jeremy, so apparently "Select All" means "Select Visible". 48 clicks later, I have no subscriptions. I am sure that I never was auto subscribed to these, because I would have been getting many emails for much longer than the last month.

0 votes
Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
March 20, 2013

Kevin - I think you missed the boatload of subscriptions that snuck in. I gave the path to follow before but I think our UI is still too confusing (stay tuned on that, by the way - we're almost ready with our redesign!) and you missed it. It's here:

https://answers.atlassian.com/users/970/kevin-buchs/subscriptions/?tab=manage

You've got a bunch of subscriptions that I think you accumulated inadvertently. That's where I was suggesting bulk unsubscribing. It's 24 pages worth of them!

Let me know if I'm missing something (or if there's a feature I should build - perhaps a "remove all subscriptions" button?).

0 votes
Kevin Buchs
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 19, 2013

The "answers" I accepted are not "the answer", as today I received a notification that https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/13392/is-there-a-way-to-zoom-in-or-out-on-an-image-in-confluence had a new accepted answer. I wasn't subscribed to it. Something is broken. Of course, I cannot unmark the previously accepted answers to this question.

0 votes
Alejandro Conde Carrillo
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 17, 2013

Do you have any favourite tags? I think answers subscribes you to questons with the tags you specify on My Favourite Tags.

Kevin Buchs
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 17, 2013

My only favorite is confluence and I am not subscribed to all that content. This outcome corresponds to having the button "Auto Subscribe Me To: All questions matching my favorite tabs" unchecked in my settings.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events