Atlassian Answers and its Superheroes

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2013

Well, we all heard that one: "With great power comes great responsibility" (well, this is Roosevelt, BTW, but general culture nowadays stops at Spiderman).

In an attempt to improve the Answers (and the quality of the responses in general) I pledge the guys answering on behalf of Atlassian:

1/ Bear in mind that we created plugins to cover some missing functionalities from Atl products. Answering something like: cannot be done, not standard without putting a 'maybe' or 'look for a plugin' is not a correct thing to do. First, this is not true in many cases, this is the gap we're filling.

2/ Accepting an answer on behalf of the user less than 1 day after the question was asked should not be acceptable. There are many many solutions out there. Let the user try them out.

3/ https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/109720/is-it-fair-to-create-another-user-or-ask-your-mate-to-vote-you-for-some-karma

It is nice to see you as a family, voting each-other ...

So in short, sorry for being an a*****e (this is how I am, an educated monkey - funny thing is that this concern of abusing the powers was raised by Atlassian against outside users - it was a huge discussion in the past). Don't get me wrong: it's good to have you around. But please read again the first phrase.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 6, 2013

Thanks for posting this Radu. I'd love to follow up with the right people to make sure our moderators are doing the right thing. Do you have a few examples? If you prefer, email me at jlargman@atlassian.com.

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2013

It's not the idea to point fingers at X or Y.

Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 6, 2013

Sure, fair enough. I was wanting to figure out the difference between accepting answers for good reasons and for bad, or if upvoting was really gaming the system or not. I'm sure there's a discussion to be had about why or why not resolve an answer. We had initially wanted more accepted answers, so some of the moderation is with the best intentions. I thought maybe looking at the cases would be a good way to figure that out.

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2013

Upvoting by Atl for Atl, for the wrong reasons, yes, it makes the difference.

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2013

Closed, I hope it will be resolved from now on

Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
May 8, 2013

We're going to make an Answers etiquette guideline and create moderators. We have ad-hoc moderators now, but we'll get this going in a more established effort.

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 9, 2013

Thanks Jeremy. Let us know if we'll (the rest of us) have rules to respect / obey.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events