Application Links: how is "shared user base" defined

David Toussaint [Communardo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2012

Hi, I'am a bit struggeling withh application links right now. In order to move forward here I was just wondering how the option "shared user base" is actually definded. Does this need to be the same LDAP directory (if LDAP is used)? Or are do the usernames need to be identical and that's it?

More specific I want to ask which setting would be the best for the following scenario:

Confluence and JIRA are set up and both using the same ActiveDirectory. Additionally both applications use an internal direcotry, but this is different. E.g. User A is not in LDAP but only in internal directory of JIRA and therefore can only access JIRA (and not confluence). The setup looks as follows:

JIRA: ActiveDirectory + JIRA Internal directory

Confluence: ActiveDirectory + Confluence Internal directory

So wicht scenario if the gliffy chart on this page of the documentation does this match?

Thanks a lot! Cheers, David

1 answer

0 votes
PauloP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2012

Hi David.

I'm not quite sure if I could understand what your needs really are. However, if you're trying to know what is the best practice on using JIRA + Confluence and a external LDAP direcotry (for users credentials), I believe that you have 2 options:

1. LDAP <> JIRA <> Confluence : In this case, JIRA will handle all the communication with external LDAP directory, as well as will be the focal point for user management for both applications.

2. LDAP <> Crowd <> JIRA

<> Confluence : In this case, Crowd will be the focal point for all the applicaitons, as well as will handle all the communication with external LDAP.

For further details, I'd suggest to look at the following documentation:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONF43/Connecting+to+Crowd+or+JIRA+for+User+Management

Cheers,

Paulo Renato

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2012

Hi Paulo, thnaks for your answer. while I do understand the basic configuration of application links my question was how to deal with the following setup:

JIRA: ActiveDirectory + JIRA Internal directory

Confluence: ActiveDirectory + Confluence Internal directory

The challenge is that the internal directories or not the same and the userbase differs therefor. So what is the correct setting, "shared userbase" or not?

Thanks!

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 4, 2012

just pushing this one up, I guess someone is knowing this...

Suggest an answer