After setting the JIRA_HOME system variable it still says it is not configured

Frank Kraft August 23, 2012

Even after setting the system variable AND the jira-application.properties file in the install directory, It states that jira.home is not configured.

1 answer

0 votes
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2012

Hi Frank,

There might be some incorrect syntax while configuring the HOME directory trough jira.application.properties. You might want to try configuring it trough <jira_install_dir>/bin/config.bat and see if it helps.

If it still does'not help, you might want to provide more information such as what the exact error message and whether you are able to access JIRA trough web browser or not, if its not possible to access it trough web browser, let us know the message thrown by your browser.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

Frank Kraft August 27, 2012

I do not have a config.bat as this is a WAR installation.

I have attempted multiple ways to get it working:

1. Added the environment variable JIRA_HOME; Tells me it is not configured.

2. Added the value jira.home = D:\\JIRA\\HOME to jira-application.properties; Tomcat returns a 404

3. Changed jira.home = "D:\\JIRA\\HOME"; jira cannot start, tells me the home path must be absolute.

2. Changed the value jira.home = D:/JIRA/HOME; Tomcat returns a 404

3. Changed jira.home = "D:/JIRA/HOME"; jira cannot start, tells me the home path must be absolute.

Here is one of the errors I receive

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 27, 2012

Your first point 2 is the correct format - jira.home = D:\\JIRA\\HOME (double slashes, no quotes)

I would check that your server actually has that directory (case sensitive as well) and that the user that Jira is running as has permissions to at the very least read and write that directory and everything below it.

If all of that is fine, then I'd start reading your log file from the last startup attempt.

EDIT: FIXED

Thank you, It is not building properly but is gives me an error in the log:

2012-08-28 10:00:39,728 main INFO [atlassian.plugin.loaders.ScanningPluginLoader] Plugin Unit: D:\JIRA\HOME\plugins\.bundled-plugins\workflow-designer-plugin-2.6.13.jar (1344985658000) created

2012-08-28 10:01:06,175 Spring executor 1 ERROR [plugin.osgi.factory.OsgiPlugin] Unable to start the Spring context for plugin com.atlassian.activeobjects.activeobjects-plugin

org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'backup': Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.initializeBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1338)

at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:473)

at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory$1.run(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:409)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:380)

at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory$1.getObject(AbstractBeanFactory.java:264)

at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.getSingleton(DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.java:222)

at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.doGetBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:261)

at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:185)

at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:164)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 27, 2012

That's good, but the log is telling you what's wrong now - it's out of memory for "PermGen"

Have a look at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/JIRA+Crashes+Due+to+java.lang.OutOfMemoryError+PermGen+Space+Error

Suggest an answer