Adding Time in Status to Screens ?

Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: How to setup Average Time in Status Gadget

The article says: "Do not add the field to any (transition) screens."

What does this mean ?  smile  Does it mean: 

• "Do not add the field to any transition screens.", or 
  • "Do not add the field to any screens." 

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2016

Both.  Don't add it to most screens because the content is not really human readable.

Don't put it on a transition screen because it's also going to be wrong, as you're part way through something that changes the value.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2016

Nic, I have a followup question to your answer that I am hoping you have some ideas. I would like to show the current value of the "time in source status" that is shown on the Transitions Tab (first image) on my Kanban board (second image). I have selected "[CHART] Time in Status" to be displayed on the Kanban cards but only "None" is displayed where I was hoping to see 20h 5m as is the case on the transition screen for the status in question. So either a) it is broken or b) the two fields are in fact not the same.

Transition Tab.jpg

Kanban Board.jpg

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2016

BTW, i also have the box checked on the column config screen to "Show a visual indicator on each card that represents the time spent in the column." And that seems to work but isn't very useful. Do you know what field that indicator is based upon?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2016

Ok, these are different things, despite the name. 

• The "time in status" field is a non-human-readable data store for some information used in the charting add-on. Don't bother putting it on screens (or cards), as it won't do anything useful
  • The "time in source status" thing you see on the transitions tab is not a field, it's some data extracted from the issue history
  • The "time spent in column" is what it says though - look at the line of dots under the "none" on your cards - each dot is a day that the card has been in that column.  If you move it to a new column, it'll drop to zero again
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2016

thanks for the quick response Nic! Makes sense. Unfortunate as the data would be great to be able to see on the card/filter/dashboard. the visual indicator falls short for items that are stuck in a state for >1w IMO.

Thanks again!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2016

I'd use a scripted field to expose it, but it could get very complex as status doesn't necessarily map directly on to columns (a column could contain more than one status, so you're into adding up time in several status then, and it won't be easy to do on the fly either)

The closest you've got is the dots for "time in column".  I'd think about hacking the css to make that more prominent maybe.

Suggest an answer