Add custom field to ictime log work interface?

Bob Dankert May 4, 2014

We are using ictime to help with loggin work and tracking in JIRA. Typically it has worked well, but we have a need to add custom fields to the log work interface. In particular, I would like to add a "Miles Travelled" field, so that I can make sure to bill the appropriate mileage based on the work travelled with JIRA.

I have looked at Tempo previously, as they allow to create custom fields on the log work interface, but getting the data out of the database with Tempo is a REAL pita, and just does not work well (they store the various fields in XML data within text fields).

If anyoen has any suggestions, with icTime or something else, I would appreciate it.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tobias Reibling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2014

Hi Bob,

At this moment, ictime does not offer something like that. I have seen your feature request in our JIRA - https://interconcept.atlassian.net/browse/ICTIME-401- and agree that it would be a nice feature. However, this is complex because log work masks and reports/exports would get dynamic fields and this is not as easy to implement in a nice way within the framework for JIRA add-ons - that's probably the reason why Tempo uses just one database field + a XML structure. I will discuss the feature request internally, but don't think that something like that is possible on the short run.

Depending on your exact needs, there might be two options to deal with your requirement within ictime's current and planned capabilities:

1. Just create an activity type for this (you might assign it only to those projects where you need it), create a work log and write the mileage into the work log description field (set such a work log to not billable or a corrected value "0" to avoid getting time charged). This way, you could create separate "work logs" just for the mileage. You see them in reports/exports, but can't sum up or something like that.

2. We are planning to add the option to export JIRA custom fields with ictime reports (https://interconcept.atlassian.net/browse/ICTIME-399). If the information is required only once per issue, it could be entered in a custom field in the issue itself and ictime provides the data as .xls export.

Best regards
Tobias

Bob Dankert May 4, 2014

Thanks Tobias for the response. For me, I do my reporting through queries directly against the database, so I am not as concerned about being able to report on the data as much as being able to log and associate the data with the issue. For now I will likely use some sort of variant of option #1, though if option #2 would allow a custom field to be added to the log work interface, that would be great. Thanks!

0 votes
Viðar Svansson [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2014

Hi Bob,

The reason for the implementation in Tempo is because plugins could not create their own database tables when the feature was implemented. We are progressively migrating all Tempo data over to database tables and worklog attributes is probably next on the list.

Cheers,
Viðar

Viðar Svansson [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2014

Meanwhile, you can access this data via the API. No need to dig into database tables.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events