A Description field with default value for templating

Ed Schriger August 30, 2012

I would like to know if it is possible to configure the Description field with default values by Issue Type.

For our Issue Type = Story we use a format to describe our story.

I would like to template Description with default values for this issue type so we don't have to paste the template over and over. This way my users are prompted to use fill in the required sections.

I notice that I cannot add Default Value to the default Description field like I can to a custom field.

So the option might be to create a Custom Field called Story Description to be used on Issue Type = Story.

I can do this, but then I have two problems to solve:

1. How do I hide the default Description field on this particular issue type? Isn't it a required/mandatory field?

2. Since we've been using the default Description field in the issue type all along, by hiding the field, will I then hide all of the history content we've created on existing/closed Story issues?

3 answers

0 votes
Ed Schriger July 16, 2013

I take exception to the answer that this functionality does not exist in JIRA.

On the old Atlassian support page you had a description field set up this way.

0 votes
Kevin Robertson September 17, 2012

Is it possible to configure Description field with a default value? Something like:

Summary, Steps to Reproduce, Expected Results, Actual Results, Regression, Notes

How?

0 votes
cgauterio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 4, 2012

Hi Ed,

Unfortunately, this functionality doesn't exist in JIRA yet.

As for creating a custom field called Description, I wouldn't advise you to do that, because the description field is a required field for JIRA issues, and you cannot replace this field by a custom one as they won't work on the same way.

Cheers,

Clarissa Gautério

Atlassian Support

Suggest an answer