Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

linking to documents on file server

Michael Dahl November 17, 2016

I see conflicting information about whether you can or cannot link to documents sitting on a file share that is external to confluence?

Is it possible and if so how do you do it?

2 answers

0 votes
Rob Woodgate
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 23, 2016

Hi Michael,

You need the URI of the share.  For example, let's say you have the following situation:

• Your machine name: computer1
  • Your shared folder: C:\Shared
  • File you want to share: C:\Shared\file.txt
  • All of your users are connected to your corporate network

The URI you need to link to is \\mycomputer\shared\file.txt

If your users are not connected to your corporate network then you'll need to share a file from a public-facing service like Dropbox, OneDrive or Google Drive.  Those services will provide a URL that anyone can click on and access.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2016

You can link to any url you want, including file shares, as long as it is presented as a proper url, not a "share".

I suspect what you've seen about it not being possible is the cases where people are trying to link to a file on the Confluence server and expecting c:\data\myfile to work - not understanding that their browser sees that as a path to files on the client machine.

Michael Dahl November 18, 2016

Thanks Nic

I don't suppose you know what the correct syntax is to do this? Again I've been trying a number of different ways and nothing seem to work. 

PC in an all Microsoft enterprise environment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2016

Syntax for what?  What is the url to the file share you are trying to use?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events