Pages like in Word: Linking Chapter Headlines in the Sidebar

UliAbo September 26, 2020

Hi there,

I hope you're all well these days. Just a quick questions, couldn't find any help on Google:

I think I understand the concept of Confluence regarding Pages and Child pages and I use them a lot. I like that they appear in the Sidebar and can be re-arranged.

Now, In Microsoft Word it's possible to have also your different chapter headlines "saved" or linked in the navigation sidebar on the left. So I would like to do the same in Confluence. But not only the headline of a Page: I would rather like to have several long Pages and then I can set subheadlines within one single Page, and those subheadlines also appear on the sidebar. In other words: When I have a long Page, it's nice to scroll down through all the content. But then it would be nice to jump to specific parts (!) of this single page by clicking on subheadlines in the Sidebar.

I hope I described that as clear as possible and looking forward to your hep. Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2020

It's not possible to do this.  Confluence is aimed more at shorter documents structured into a page tree than one long one with sections.

That said, I've used a theming app to do it on Server - one I wrote myself, and a couple of times with Themebuilder.  These let me put panels where I want, so I simply put a "table of contents" macro into a panel.

I do not know if this can be done on Cloud, I have a feeling the theming options are too limited.  I suspect the best you can do is a {toc} macro in the body.

UliAbo September 27, 2020

Okay, Thank you Nic for your answer!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events