Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving a page to another space did not adjust links to it.

JHumel January 13, 2017

I moved a page to another space using the "... move" option. Other pages that linked to it did not update. This even included the page itself. It contained links to internal sections within itself. I didn't even relink to its own new location internally.

Any ideas?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2017

How were the links entered on the pages?  Were they Confluence links ( [ space : page ] ) or just plain urls (http://yourconfluence/display/space/pagename)?

JHumel January 13, 2017

Nic - When I use a link, I edit the page, highlight the text that will be linked, then I click  on the "links" icon, add the URL in that pop up. Then I click OK and Save the page. The text is hyperlinked to the other pages, and I'm done. I'm linking Confluence pages to other Confluence pages by doing this. I moved one page, and the pages that were linked to it in this manner did not update.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2017

Yes, that makes sense.  You are using plain urls.  These are plain text which Confluence doesn't "know" are links to its own pages.  They're just a url you've added. So it doesn't update them because it doesn't know that it should.  Even with links back to itself, it can't know that you want to update it on move. 

You should be using Confluence links if you need them to be retained when pages move or get renamed

JHumel January 14, 2017

Nic - Thanks for the confirmation. Can you provide me a Confluence resource that describes "Confluence links" so I can make sure that I'm using them in the future.

This kind of falls in the Principle of Least Astonishment, since I think it would be reasonable for me to assume that using Confluence's link icon to create and edit a link would be enough for Confluence to know that link existed.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 14, 2017

No, because you're using links to <anything>.   It passes the "principle of least astonishment" completely, because you are pointing at a location, not a trackable object that happens to be in that location when you create that link.  A url is an absolute value, not a relative one.

Have a look through https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/links-776656293.html for all the different types of link you can do.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events