LDAP user integration with Confluence - Do I have to buy JIRA to do LDAP user integration?

Deborah Heller June 23, 2017

I'm new to Confluence.  We bought the Confluence Server for use on own Linux servers.  We are in the middle of configuring the SAML SingleSignOn (SSO) for Confluence plugin.  But we also need openLDAP integration for our users - all I seem to be finding is JIRA documentation.

1. I JIRA something I need to buy?
  2. Can I do the user/LDAP integration without JIRA?
  3. Pros?  Cons?
  4. Is there an article for this?

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bruno Vincent
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2017

You do not need to buy JIRA for the sole purpose of having LDAP integration in Confluence. Please follow Atlassian's documentation instructions to connect Confluence to your openLDAP server: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/connecting-to-an-ldap-directory-229838241.html

0 votes
Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2017

Deb,

(Disclaimer, I work for a competing company to SAML SSO, Kantega SSO https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?query=kantega )

1. Yes, JIRA is an application you need to buy.

2. Yes, you can add an Active Directory user directory and authenticate users directly to AD. You can choose to manage groups in AD or in Confluence (or JIRA)

3. There are so many pros and cons that I`m not sure where to begin :) To get the best answer, perhaps you could describle who`s managing users, are they only internal users or do you have customers accessing JIRA/Confluence as well?

Internally we use delegated authentication. This means that user and group mangement are done in JIRA, but for internal users passwords are checked towards AD. Windows users have the benefit of SSO with Kerberos (no passwords asked) Mac`s, linux and mobile devices use SSO with SAML. 

4.  Not sure. :)

Cheers,

Lars, Kantega Single Sign-on

0 votes
Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 23, 2017

Deb,

(Disclaimer, I work for a competing company to SAML SSO, Kantega SSO https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?query=kantega )

1. Yes, JIRA is an application you need to buy.

2. Yes, you can add an Active Directory user directory and authenticate users directly to AD. You can choose to manage groups in AD or in Confluence (or JIRA)

3. You can choose to manage users from JIRA, or through LDAP. There are so many pros and cons that I`m not sure where to begin :) To get the best answer, perhaps you could describle who`s managing users, are they only internal users or do you have customers accessing JIRA/Confluence as well?

Internally we use delegated authentication. This means that user and group mangement are done in JIRA, but for internal users passwords are checked towards AD. Windows users have the benefit of SSO with Kerberos (no passwords asked) Mac`s, linux and mobile devices use SSO with SAML. 

4.  Not sure. :)

Cheers,

Lars, Kantega Single Sign-on

Suggest an answer