How to update the wiki links in bulk in a Confluence page

Aditi Saini June 9, 2017

I have a Confluence page with 50+ wiki links and I wanted to update the target address of those links.

2 answers

2 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 9, 2017

One way is to:

1. create a test space
  2. copy the page with the 50 links to the test space
  3. export the test space to XML
  4. find and replace the links as described in option 1 on How Do I replace all 'hard' links to my old Base URL
  5. re-zip the back-up
  6. delete the test space
  7. import the XML backup
  8. move the page with the 50 links back to the original space.
Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2017

Would it not be handier just to replace the links on the page? It is effectively what you are already doing. There is no need to export it.

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 9, 2017

There isn't a find/replace feature in the Confluence editor so he would have to find each one and type the new URL. If the links are all "wrong" in the same way, which I assumed based on his wanting to bulk update, it would be faster and more accurate to use find/replace with a text editor. 

Another way would be to install the Source Editor plugin, use a text editor to edit the storage format, and then paste it back in.

Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2017

I agree, that is why anyone would simply copy and paste the links into a text editor like you stated as this would be most convenient. This would not require any export or importing of spaces. 

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
June 9, 2017

Sure that would work as long as there is no formatting on the page - if its all just text. But he would lose any macros, etc when pasting to the text editor.

Aditi Saini June 12, 2017

Hi Ann and Jeremy,

I am able to update link text using the Confluence editor, however I need to update the link address as well since we are moving to another domain. Can you please advise.

Hi Ann,

Do you recommend me to use Add on "Confluence Source Editor"

Thanks,

Aditi

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
June 12, 2017

Sure, that's one way to go. The source editor adds a <> at the top of the editor that let's you directly edit the storage format. You could copy the storage format to a text editor, search and replace, then paste it back in.

Ok, Thanks for your suggetsions. As I do not have the administrative rights, I will not be able to add the plugin my own. Is there any other way?

Thanks in advance

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
June 12, 2017

If you have space administration permissions you can go with the XML export idea I posted initially.

1 vote
Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 9, 2017

Dear Aditi,

I am afraid there is no other way than to find/replace those links. It is your only option here.

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy Mooiman

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your response.

Best,
Aditi

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events