Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to setup user documentation space for external users?

Shea Martin December 13, 2017

I am considering creating a space and using it for our products end-user documentation. 

I created a space, and gave it anonymous access. But when I visit the anonymous site it appears as a Confluence wiki with read-only access. Is there a way I can hide all the wiki control and Atlassian stuff for anonymous users? Users will not be contributing to documentation.

Any tips on making a user-friendly experience for uses when they are looking for documentation for our software product? Ideally a left nav with TOC for the space, and a search option is all an end-user should need.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

1 answer

1 vote
Christian Reichert (resolution)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 13, 2017

Hi @Shea Martin,

you have some options here.

1) You could probably customise the CCS of that particular space and hide some elements you don't like.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/styling-confluence-with-css-166528400.html

This can become tricky quite quickly with your logged in Users.

But this would be a free of charge approach and in certain circumstances, quite an effective one.

2) Use a plugin like K15t's Viewport.

I work for a plugin vendor and we use the Viewport Plugin from K15t to publish our documentation. That plugin allows you to take a confluence space an publish it under a new URL. You then also have the control over the CSS/etc but there default theme's are probably already quite close to what you want. It also allows a configuration that anonymous Users see the Viewport View (no Confluence UI) and your logged-in Users see their normal Confluence.

You can see the Documentation of our SAML Plugin as an example if you like.

Cheers,
Christian

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events