Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to allow View only permissions for a specific group

William Matsuguma October 25, 2019

Goal: I want to have a Space in Confluence that only a specific group can access (some employees of my company - we are over 30 in total). This group should be allowed only to VIEW the content of the Space.

Situation: Confluence Server license with 10 users - I created a group (aside from the "confluence-administrators") with only the 8 users that will be allowed to create and edit content within our confluence called content-producers.

Now I have three groups: "confluence-administrators", "content-producers" and "employees".

Global Permissions: under "Licenced Users", I have only 2 groups totalling 8 users ( "confluence-administrators" and "content-producers".

I also have enabled the anonymous access to my Confluence instance since I will have spaces aimed and opened to my customers.

Page Restrictions: at the first page of my Space (the "highest" page in the ranking), I added a restriction for only specific groups and people can view/edit and added the "employees" group since I want all of my employees to be able to see this particular space.

Problem: despite having anonymous access enabled and giving the "employees" group permission to see my space, whenever I log in to Confluence using one of the "employees" users, I still can't see the Space.

Also - Question: if I want to give a specific group of users VIEW permissions (not EDIT / CREATE), they need to be licensed users (I need to purchase licenses for them)?

1 answer

0 votes
Manisha Kharga _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2019

Hi @William Matsuguma ,

We would like to let you know that if you have given view permission to the Anonymous users, he can view the space and pages it contains.

comm101.jpg

The employee group is facing issue because space might be having some restrictions. So you need to remove the restriction from the space.

If Anonymous View permission is enabled then all logged in users (regardless of their group membership) will be able to see all spaces and its content that have granted space permissions to anonymous users.

Thanks,
Manisha

William Matsuguma November 1, 2019

Hello Manisha, thank you for your answer.

I overviewed all the configurations I have on Confluence and did all of them again and still I am unable to configure the access to my spaces the way I wanted.

Maybe if I post my question differently, I will be able to communicate what I want to do.

I have anonymous access enabled under Global Permissions and within my Space. I tried adding Page Restrictions to this space because I want it to be only partially visible to any (anonymous) user and the rest of it only viewable by a specific group.

Even though I can find the group within the Page Restrictions box, when a user that is within that group tries to access my space, he can't see anything.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events