Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I continue a numbered list?

Sevval February 28, 2019

Hi, I have a problem. Using confluence 6.9.1 - I started a numbered list to add steps in. İnsert a bullet list and would like to continue with the number list rather than starting at one again.

Example:

# Step 1 text here

#Step 2 text here

• bullet list here

# this should be step 3 but starting from step 1 

How do you solve this problem?

6 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jared Brenner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 28, 2019

Hi Sevval,

Are you using Confluence Cloud or Confluence Server?  I was able to continue a numbered list in my instance of Server:

Bullet.PNG

Good luck!

Sevval March 1, 2019

Hi  Jared,

Thank you for your support. I tried now. Done! 

Have a nice day.

Like Zak Laughton likes this
Manoj Parashar April 28, 2021

Suggested solution does not work when I have inserted an image between step 2 and step 3, instead of bullet list. Can you please sugges solution?

Like # people like this
Trevor Hungerford July 8, 2021

Did you find a way around this? I am having this issue too.

Like # people like this
Chris Runciman August 16, 2021

Have you tried using Shift + Enter to add a soft line break? You can add an image or code snippet etc while the list continues below.

It's easier if you add the following step first. So if you want to add an image between step 2 and step 3, create your list like so:

1. Step 1
  2. Step 2
  3. Step 3

Then use Shift + Enter at step 2 to add a soft line break:

1. Step 1
  2. Step 2
    [embed your image/whatever here]
  3. Step 3
Like # people like this
James Lowe September 2, 2021

Thanks! That had been driving me mad!

Like Nishant Sharma likes this
Marcus O'Brien September 9, 2021

This doesn't seem to work when inserting a Info Panel or Note. I've tried copy and pasting the info box, or just inserting one like the instructions above, i.e. create one on the soft line

Does anyone have a way to add Info Panels in a numbered list and keep the numbers contiguous ?

Thanks

Like # people like this
James Lowe September 15, 2021

Alas, I haven't been able to get info or notes numbered either. I did try.

The best I could come up with is using the :info: or :information_source: or warning emoji at the start of the line.

Like # people like this
Margeaux Killian September 16, 2021

I cannot get continued numbering to work in different rows on Confluence, such as for a process where each row is a different user, but the process should have continued numbering.

Like # people like this
Frédéric FINET September 16, 2021

The provided "solutions" only work while you remain in a list. If you want to insert any other type of text block (such as a header, a warning pannel..., the list gets broken :( )

Like # people like this
Scott Paden May 3, 2022

Very disappointing.

Like # people like this
5 votes
Rob Schedel October 5, 2021

Here is a less-than-perfect workaround, but it will do in a pinch.

After you create your Info box or what have you with the text that you want, take a cropped, screen capture of it. Go to your numbered list and do a Shift + Enter at the end of the line where you would like to insert your Info box, and paste your screen capture.

Kludgy, but it works. It would be so much better if they offered an option to renumber though.

Doneen Johnson March 22, 2022

It might be kludgy, but it's the best work-around I've heard so far.  Thanks for sharing!

Like # people like this
Dawn Rodney July 14, 2022

Thank you! That worked! Wow, seriously... can you please just add a RESTART NUMBERING feature????? I've been having to work around this for years. Yet, Google Docs, Word and a ton of other word processing tools have it forEVER.

Like # people like this
1 vote
James Lowe September 21, 2021

I created https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Feature-request-Allow-numbered-lists-to-continue-either-side-of/qaq-p/1810942#M218948 as it wasn't obvious if there was a FR elsewhere (or how to see FR's generally for Confluence).

So I am sure someone will tell me if there is one already or if I have asked in the wrong place - Cunningham's law and all that ;)

0 votes
Yuriy Makaruk November 3, 2022

2022-11-03_13-19-59.gif

0 votes
Colin Sheppard November 1, 2022

I used a Table with the option of a Numbered Column.

0 votes
James Lowe September 21, 2021

I created https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Feature-request-Allow-numbered-lists-to-continue-either-side-of/qaq-p/1810942#M218948 as it wasn't obvious if there was a FR elsewhere (or how to see FR's generally for Confluence). So I am sure someone will tell me if there is one already or if I have asked in the wrong place - Cunningham's law and all that ;)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events