History for Confluence Questions

pcondal March 6, 2014

We are evaluating Confluence Questions as a quick Q&A repositiory a la StackOverflow.

However, we are concerned about that is very easy to impersonate others without any (apparent) history edit that can be tracked.

That is, somene asks a question about a new Human Resources benefits policy. Another user answers the legit question. A thid user "The Joker", edits the question or the answer. There is no way to know that the question or answer text or images were changed by the "The Joker", who remains anonymous, at least on Confluence Questions.

Are we missing anything to make history of changes evident? As it is now, the Q&A system seems too easy to troll anonymously by someone how does not have her day.

2 answers

0 votes
Sam Tardif
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 9, 2014

Hi Josep,

Administrators are able to edit questions and answers created by other users, but it shouldn't be possible for other standard users to do so. If you're seeing that behaviour then it's a bug that we need to look into. Would you mind confirming that for me?

Cheers.

pcondal March 9, 2014

I confirm that (at least on 6.1.7), it only happens if the Administrator is the one who edits. Non-administrator users cannot modify questions from other users.

This mitigates a lot things because only Administrators are able to impersonate someone else without leaving any trace. However, I think it would be best if at least there was some indication in the UI that the question or answer has been edited by someone (either the OP or an Administrator).

In any case, since users can edit their own questions, one "Joker" user can make a question with a likely answer of "yes", and then modify her own question with "Do you smell?" or something similar.

I think that some basic traceability in Confluence Questions could be useful to disencourage certain behaviours, even if it's just for fun.

0 votes
BillA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 9, 2014

I'd be happy to speak to you more about this. Feel free to email me at bill at atlassian so we can schedule a time.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events