Edit button is visible for other users

Jose M.
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2014

I cannot imagine, this is correct: I can see the edit button from another user on "answers.atlassian".

This is just an example:

screenshot_edit.PNG

I do not know, if I really can edit the posting, but I won't try.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2014

Hi Jose, like moderators in forums when you have enough karma you are allowed to edit other users questions and answers. It's with the idea that users can maintain it without much help from Atlassian.

In my opinion I think it's great. I myself have sometimes changed some to get more clear Q&A.

Jose M.
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 10, 2014

Hi Ramiro, yes, it is certainly useful, if a notification is sent to the owner.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2014

Right, didn't about the notification. That would be a good thing.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 10, 2014

It can be very useful to convert comments to answers when a comment is truly deserving of being an answer. It is a bit counter-intuitive though - often the conversion breaks the flow of a conversation, which makes it less useful, because you can get a bit of a disjointed explanation of something. When I convert comments to answers, I try to judge if it might be confusing and add a "I converted this from..." type comment to explain where it came from if I think it might be confusing. It is often useful to convert answers to comments as well. I see a lot of answers that are repeats of answers already given (which is unfair on the original poster if the newer answer is accepted first). There are a lot of answers that are clearly follow-ups to existing answers and so should also be comments. I see the odd answer which is frankly wrong, but I really don't think it's right to remove these, even when I can - it's better to convert them to comments and then explain why. More people learn that way. In both of the cases above, it's mostly because people aren't sure when they should answer and when they should comment. Or don't even know that there is a difference. I'm less certain about the ability to edit other people's comments. It feels like it could be censorship, and could easily be political or manipulative, so I avoid it. I don't feel right doing it, and when I do edit a question or comment, I keep it minimal and I only do it for clarity, and I tend to comment to explain why I did it. Unless it's questionably spam, or it's my own posting (and the edit won't affect any following comments/answers)

0 votes
Tim
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 9, 2014

In the old answer system this functionality was related to your karma value, I think above 500 points you could edit other question. I do not know if this is still the case with Confluence Questions.

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 9, 2014

I could edit your question (changed "Ich can ..." to "I can ...")

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events