Customizing Confluence URL

Serafim Herts October 15, 2014

Hi!

I have a question about URLs.

Is there a way to change my long

https://myconfluence.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=111 URL

to a little bit more short, for example https://myconfluence.com/page/111?

I've installed Advanced Redirection plugin but it is able to redirect to a static URLs only, so I can't use the PageID to right redirection. I mean I can't change ...pages/viewpage.action?pageId=111 to desirable ...page/111 without hard codding, because the 'Redirect to' parameter doesn't support dynamically addresses.

My google search can't answer=)

Please help!

Regards

Serafim

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2014

There is no option to do this in Confluence as I know. This should be done using a webserver rewrite (e.g. Apache Rewrite).

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2014

Correct. This should be intermediate difficulty for a serious netadmin or webserver admin. Confluence has some documentation but they say in a big note, "We do not support customized configurations! Can't help ya!" for good reason: There are unlimited options for web applications and url configurations. https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Using+mod_rewrite+to+Modify+Confluence+URLs You would need to front Tomcat with Apache and then in the text configuration file, you would call the module and then load in your rules for writing.

Serafim Herts October 16, 2014

Thank you!

0 votes
Deleted user October 18, 2014

Confluence URLs are usually user-friendly. You only get long ugly ones like your example when there are special characters in the title. A page title of "Hello World" would be something like

myownwiki.com/display/spacename/Hello+World

but if you add punctuation such as "Hello, World!" it changes to look like your example.

If you look in Tools > Page Information, there's already a short "tiny link" URL for every Confluence page that is generated when the page is created and doesn't change if the title is edited. They look like this:

myownwiki.com/display/x/cA-yAw

It might be possible to retrieve that short URL programmatically. Someone more knowledgeable then me would have to advise on that.

Serafim Herts October 19, 2014

Thank you! But I use Russian letters in my page names, so I have long URLs everytime =) I've find the solution in editing urlrewrite.xml

Armando Mancilla May 2, 2017

Hello mate,

Sorry to "rescue" this topic after so much time, but how exactly you've solve the problem editing urlrewrite.xml?

I don't use Russian, but use Portuguese with so many long URLs and special characters as you do =D

So I have the very same problem, I don't know how to resolve. There's an "open status" Jira ticket since 2004, but seems that Atlassian still hasn't accept it to their backlog.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events