Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collaborative Editing not working

Klaus Foerschl July 5, 2017

Hello,

we are running Confluence more or less out of the box.
Only thing special is the DB, which is Postgresql over SSL and user-management by Jira (hosted on the same server).

So, we are not using Apache as a front end.

We also already checked those pages:
Troubleshooting Collaborative Editing
unable to create page after upgrade to 6.0.1 with apache 2.2 as proxy
and others but could not resolve the issue.

We tried, just vor verification reasosn of the documentation mentioned above, to change the synchrony port and are wondering about the fact, that introducing the following line into confluence.cfg.xml has no effect:
 <property name="synchrony.port">8092</property>

The same is valid for the attempt to disable the synchrony feature by modifying:
<property name="synchrony.proxy.enabled">false</property>
After a restart Synchrony is still reported as running.
Adding -Dsynchrony.port=8092 to CATALINA_OPTS in .../bin/setenv.sh did the job!
Anyhow. The default synchrony port 8081 is not in use by any other process. we ensured by netstat ...

For the moment the only option we found is to either set Collaborative Editing to Limited or Disable.

Any hint is very welcome
Klaus

1 answer

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 5, 2017

There are several reasons why collaborative editing might fail; the logs can help narrow down the issue. Please check for relevant entries in the logs at <confluence_home>/logs, especially the atlassian-confluence.log. (The <confluence_home> directory is the path defined in the following file: <confluence_install>/confluence/WEB-INF/classes/confluence-init.properties)

Please see Unable to edit any pages in Confluence 6.x due to Collaborative Editing. One quick check is to verify that your Base URL matches the URL in the browser when you access Confluence.

Setting the system property as you did in setenv.sh is the correct method for changing the Synchrony port, per Configuring System Properties. Can you point me to where in the docs it recommends setting the port in confluence.cfg.xml?

Klaus Foerschl July 7, 2017

Hi Ann. Many thanks for your answer.

It is not, that we didn't check the logfiles before. But, we didn't increase the log level.
So, we now set (by Logging & Profiling) the Log level to Diagnostic, re-enabled Collaborative Editing, started logfile tracing and hit the edit button.
But, still we are not able to drill down to the problem source. Maybe we simply are unable to interprete the logs accordingly :-(

Anyhow. We can confirm, that we verified all your hints and tips and everything is looking OK. BaseURL is matching, ...

Regarding your question about the recommends for setting system properties. This seems to be my fault. I just intended, since i found similar properties in the .xml file, that the same would work for all properties described in the linked document. Meanwhil i found the hint at the top of this page, that the CATALINA_OPTS/JAVA_OPTS is the right place. Sorry for the confusion.

Since here's obviously not the right place to paste my log snippet as an attachment and a i also think, pasting the logs is too much for this window, i can't provide the logs for further analysis for now.

But, we meanwhile are running with an officially 100user license. Maybe creating a support ticket for this is the better option?

Kind regards
Klaus

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 7, 2017

Yes, please go ahead and open a support ticket at: https://support.atlassian.com/contact/

It will save time if you attach a support zip to the ticket. To create a support zip, please follow these instructions: Creating a Support Zip File via the Confluence Administration Console

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events