Adding Versions info to a Confluence page

Nora Buckley April 9, 2014

I would like to create a Confluence status report page, which includes data from JIRA and also some customer status info (from Excel and PPT files).

One of the things that would be really useful to include on this status page is an overview of the upcoming version releases and associated dates i.e. exactly what is shown when I click on 'Versions' for a JIRA projects page (i.e. it lists each Version Name, Start Date, Release Date and Description).

However, I can't see how I can include the JIRA 'versions' info in confluence. While I can include the 'RoadMap Status' Macro and the 'Project Progress' macro, these really don't present the simple list of planned Versions, Dates and a description.

Is it possible to link directly to this Versions info in Jira for a project? Thank you.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2014

There is another techique that can be used for more specific cases that have a JIRA REST API available that provides the right information. And this is the case for version information specifically. This takes advantage of a very recent addition to the Advanced Tables for Confluence (formerly known as the Table Plugin) that provides the JSON Table Macro. It can extract data directly from JIRA for display in Confluence with a number of customization options. Building an Advanced Table from Rest API Data describes how this is done.

Nora Buckley April 13, 2014

This is really great, Bob. Thank you for this and for the description of how to use it. I have a small remaining problem in that my adminstrator cannot install version 6.3 on our OnDemand version - he doesn't get the 'Upload add-on' option on the 'Manage Add-ons' page, only the 'Build a New Add-on' option is available.

He was able to install an earlier version (6.1) but not this one. Can you advise what we may be doing wrong please?

Thanks again for your help.

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2014

For OnDemand, you will have to wait for Atlassian to bundle the latest version. It is likely going to be a couple of weeks.

0 votes
deborah duffy July 15, 2020

I also need a way to list releases either in Confluence or via Jira Dashboard gadget. 

0 votes
Najjar _Innovura_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 14, 2020

Hi Nora

We launched a new app that allows you to create pages from templates through Jira Workflow post-function and store the Confluence page in a Jira customfield to apply more actions like:

Workflow postfuntions

• Update page permissions
  • Update page content
  • Update page title

Workflow conditions

• Check if page was modified after a certain status transition
  • Check if page still has a placeholder

And so much more.

Please give it a try, I believe it would streamline alot of repeated effort on your team

Jira Confluence Workflow Extensions (JCWE) 

Give it a try I am confident you'll love it.

If you have any inquires or requests please drop me an email at admin@innovura.io

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 9, 2014

I solve a number of use cases similar to this by publishing information to Confluence using my favorite job scheduler - Bamboo! Here is an example related to versions. The techniques described here can be used in a variety of ways.

Nora Buckley April 10, 2014

Thanks Bob. We will be integrating with Bamboo later this year but I need a solution until that happens.

The project's Versions info. is already available in JIRA in a nice table that shows the start and end dates and a short description. I would really like to be able to incorporate this info on the Confluence page. Is there anyway to get it without going down the Bamboo route? Thanks again.

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 10, 2014

Well you can use your favorite job scheduler in general. For your specific case of versions, I do have a much easier solution. I am writing it up as an example right now. Will share in a bit.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events