On the test system we have this hint on the unmigratedcontent.action pag:
Confluence has detected that there are 6.509 pages with macros that are not yet using the current storage format.
How to proceed now? How to find and clear all those pages? Is it recommended to continue updating with such a lot of unmigrated content?
Oh boy. These are fun. :) First off, don't do anything in Prod until you can get this to work in Dev! You'll have a big mess on your hands if you don't get this figured out in Dev.
I've had the best success by upgrading to 4.0, sorting out the XHTML migration issues, and from there, go to the latest version. Unless you have a really good understanding of how the XHTML migration process works, you might want to get some help on this. Basically, the problem is that you have wiki markup on those 6500 pages that the migration tool can't migrate (and isn't nice enough to tell you exactly why.) There can be a variety of causes for this, but it generally has to do with a plugin that either isn't available on Confluence 4.0 and later or with a plugin that has some functionality that changes drastically with versions <4.0 or with User Macros that are written with wiki markup. If you can identify which plugin(s) are causing the issues, there may be a specific upgrade procedure for the plugin(s.) You'll need to rewrite User Macros, and there will be an error icon next to the ones that were not able to be upgraded. It could also be that you have broken wiki markup that was tolerated in 2.8 that is no longer tolerated in later versions. We've done a lot of these migrations over the years, so we should be able to help you get Confluence upgraded quickly if you decide you need some help with it.
Dave, thanks for your reply. Indeed we have several plugins which are no longer available in the new CONF 5.5 or which we don't want to purchase (like the new 8500 USD calendar plugin). The API changed (so a lot of user macros don't work any more) and some small mistakes in the legacy markup code (done by users) are no longer tolerated. Further we recognized that template form fields (like @var@) are not migrated (into $var). We are now struggling for weeks with those issues and will not be able to update our Confluence system in time. This is really a mess.
Maybe some help from an expert could be worthfull. The Atlassian support is investigating since several days and no solution until now. We had never so much trouble with Confluence when updating.
I agree, engage with Atlassian to work with your situation! We use a number of Bob Swift and ServiceRocket macros so it complicated the move. We went from Confluence 3.5.17 to 5.0.3 to 5.6.6 in a one day migration that took 2 years of planning. Essentially, we dropped ALL Plugins between each migration then re-installed them, ran the re-migration process in 5.6.6 to convert the 5200+ pages that did not migrate earlier.
Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs