how do you assign a test to someone in Zephyr for Jira

Paul Blewitt November 29, 2012

How do you assign a test to someone in Zephyr for Jira. As all items in zephyr ofr jira are an issue, I assum you can assign a test case or test suite to a user. Could you please let me know how I could do this?

I have not been able to spot this in the notes I have read so far.

Thanks

43 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2012

Hi Paul,

Zephyr for JIRA is built to add testing to JIRA, but hasn't yet covered this use case in the testing lifecycle.

You can use the JIRA issue assignment if you'd like, as Zephyr inherits it, but then the test is assigned to that person for every execution. The JIRA assignment functionality thus isn't entirely applicable for testing.

I will add to our feature request list that you desire to have testcase execution assignment functionality.

Kind Regards,

Chris

Doug Burns August 28, 2014

It's been almost two years since this comment and it is still not in the product. When can we expect to be able to assign test cases? This seems to be a basic feature of executing test cases.

We have had to come up with non-optimal workflows with the user community to get past this and it generates continuous complaints from the users.

4 votes
Graeme Fidler March 26, 2014

We are using Zephyr for JIRA and this is the one key area where the product is let down.

A single Test Cycle for us can contain 500+ testcases. So within a Test Cycle we need to be able assign individual tests to individual users. That way each user can easily identify which test they must execute within a Test Cycle.

Not being able to assign execution of tests to users is particularly puzzling given that one of the options in the Zephyr Dashboard widget is to categorise by user??

This current functionality gap is causing real issues for our testing team. Please can this feature be added asap, I am sure it must be causing many other the same problems.

Thanking you for your reply in advance.

4 votes
Stéphane Genin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2013

Hi,

We also need to be able to assign test executions to different users. We develop software that runs on different platforms, and for some tests, we have testers per environment, not per functional domains. That means that a single test can be executed on Windows and on Linux by different users, and I need to be able to assign the test execution (not the test case) to these users. As we have distributed teams it's very important to be able to indicate this in JIRA.

Stéphane

2 votes
Deepali Patwadkar August 6, 2014

This is extremely needed feature for using Zephyr. I cannot highlight this more.

I am following this thread for last 5-6 months. For a paid tool, it is surprising that there is no ETA for the solution.

1 vote
Donna Rochard January 28, 2016

HI Chris - its now Jan 2016 and I am finding the same issue - please tell me that Zephyr has resolved this!!!

1 vote
JohnathanZ September 25, 2015

Thank you, everyone, for your feedback. It's great to see so many people who want this feature! With that being said, Zephyr for JIRA 2.6 officially supports this. I strongly recommend everyone who is even remotely interested in this and is not using Zephyr for JIRA go check it out, now, and everyone is is already using our plugin and has wanted this, take a look at our updated documentation regarding test execution assignment. 

If you're curious as to what else might be new in Zephyr for JIRA 2.6 Server*, check out our full release notes

I tried to tag everyone in this thread that displayed interest in this feature. I apologize if I missed someone. 

Please do not hesitate to get in contact with us if you have any additional questions or feedback. We love to hear it all! Our support staff can be reached at support.getzephyr.com at any time.

Thanks, all, for your continued patience while we made this highly sought-after feature a reality.

Johnathan Lyman
Senior Technical Support Lead
Zephyr 

@Paul Blewitt, Stéphane Genin, @Celina Kincaid, @Doug Burns, @Graeme Fidler, @Deepali Patwadkar, @ErikB, @Ian Mayoh, @Jeff Benton, @Helen di Lallo, @Karen DuBrucq, @Atvars Karro, @graham white, @Dominic Ricard, @Vaughan vandermerwe, @Ahjaz Hussain, @tristan le nours, @Stefan M, @Julien, @Marc Satter, @Deirdra Strangio, @Pedro Perez, @rsud, @Patricia Gamboa, @Jiben Prakash, @Robert Card, @Dan Schiff

* Added Server as clarification to clear up some confusion.

zaphnet December 3, 2020

Always nice with documentation not accessible to users, hide them behind some login that prevents those pesky complainers to report any bugs...

1 vote
Vaughan van der Merwe January 1, 2015

Any update to where this is in your backlog? Will we see this in 2015?

Jeff Benton January 12, 2015

This would be useful for us as well.

1 vote
Dominic Ricard April 24, 2013

After integrating Zephyr in our Workflow, we have found that this issue is a major problem when managing the team workload and distributing the Cycles through the different members of the team.

Until we have a way to assign a Execution Cycle to a User, we are basically creating individual Task jiras with a list of Test Cycles every members need to work on. Far from optimal but will keep us flowing until, hopefully, 1.8 is out with this feature in ;)

1 vote
Atvars Karro April 18, 2013

Test cases should not be assigned to anyone (except, perhaps, to the person who's responsible to actually update the test case). Executions should be assigned; and I'd favor the soft assignment.

Our development cycle sometimes require to execute exactly the same set of test cases on different platforms, by different engineers. Assigning the test cases(!) won't help any in this case.

I'd say, that under any view, that displays the test executions, test leads should be able to change the assignments of the executions ("select all" / filtering should be supported as well).

1 vote
graham white April 4, 2013

I favour Soft Testcase Assignment.

This functionality is very important to our organization, so I'll be selfish and give you our priorities - as others should as well :)

Our priority isn't limiting who controls the test case, it is having the flexibility to assign test cases within a cycle to whoever we have available at short notice, and for users to reassign/take on tests in the cycle as progress demands.

As part of this solution, it would be very important to us to be able to edit test cases within a cycle using the current Jira Bulk Change functionality.

From our point of view, the most important attributes that should be specific to tests in each cycle (and therefore Bulk-Editable) are:

• Test case assignment
  • Test Environment (under this we group: Browser, URL, User)

- there are obviously others, but these are the ones that are a priority to us if that helps.

I also appreciate your question, as other respondents reply, maybe more ideas will come to me.

Thanks

Graham

1 vote
Ian Mayoh April 4, 2013

I suppose it depends on what the majority of respondents think but I would like the 'soft' option. I need to assign batches of tests to an individual and to be able to see easily who I have assigned them to. I am happy with test cycle assignment. I use test cycles not as complete cycles of tests for a release but as a logical means of grouping tests for execution so it is the cycle that I want to assign. Having said that, if assignment of test cycles 'trickled down' to test cases within them (optional?) or if individual test cases can be assigned as well that is fine. NO permissions complications please.

Thanks for asking

Deleted user April 5, 2017

please hand these responses to your product and development teams for review and please give us updates when do you plan to implement it. We are waiting on your respond and changes that we will be able to add assignee to Test Cycle.

1 vote
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 4, 2013

I have a question for all of you watching this issue. There are two theoretical ways Zephyr could offer testcase assignmenet in Zephyr for JIRA. We would like to know what are you interested in:

1. Soft testcase Assignment:

The first is a data reference that records who should be executing the testcase. This isn't a controling assignment. So it doesn't limit who executes the testcase. It simply shows who should. This perserves the abilities of an agile-like team to dig into a large set of testcases and execute them as they can.

2. Hard testcase Assignment.

This is a controlling assigment. Once testcases are assigned to a tester, only that tester can execute it. The only way for another tester to execute it would be to reassign the testcase to another tester.

Also, how should Zephyr for JIRA exhibit permissions? Should there be one owner of a test cycle, where only they can assign testcases to individuals? Should there be a group of "test leads" who can assign testcases? Esentially, do you desire adding complexity and permission sets to Zephyr for JIRA or would you rather keep openness and flexibility?

Our dev team is looking forward to you input.

Kind Regads,

Chris

Jeff Benton January 12, 2015

I like the soft test case assignment.

Like zaphnet likes this
Helen di Lallo January 12, 2015

Hello - I also like the Soft assignment. It's important to note that it must be assigned (ideally) at the level of test case - cycle. In principle, you could have the same test case executed in two different cycles by different people. For authorisation, I would prefer giving the ability to assign a test case to a group of test leads or project admin group i.e. keep openness and flexibility.

Karen DuBrucq January 12, 2015

I agree that the soft assignment is the way to go. You would need to be able to sort and search by this assignment. And I would also prefer allowing a group of test leads to assign test cases. Looking forward to seeing this functionality.

Atvars Karro January 12, 2015

I'd rather prefer to have assignment of executions (and I guess I've commented on that already) Here's the situation: our software is supposed to work on several java appservers/databases/browsers, manual testing of each combo takes a certain amount of time. the test cases remain the same - the functionality (bar some setup/teardown steps) doesn't change from combo to combo. In my dream world, I could be able to create 2 or 3 test cycles, each having the same set of test execs (or slightly different, as the case may be), and either do a group assignment of these executions to an engineer, or some other way, but the original test case is not directly involved in assignments. It can be executed in parallel by several people. either way - definitely not the hard assigmnet.

Daniel
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 20, 2015

Thanks to everyone for the feedback! I will be handing these responses to our product and development teams for review.

1 vote
Ian Mayoh January 27, 2013

definitely useful feature - need to be able to see, at a glance, who I have assigned a cycle to.

1 vote
ErikB January 22, 2013

Also looking forward to this improvement.

0 votes
Marwan Obeidat February 27, 2020

We are on Zephyr for JIRA 4.2.0

Any update on this? we are still unable to assign team members to cloned test cycles. We have to export and import test cases to be able to assign test cycles.

0 votes
Salvador Fernandes October 4, 2019

using , Zephyr for JIRA 5.2.2, How do we assign test cases, is this implemented already

0 votes
sravani August 30, 2018

How to use this feature? I couldnt find that

0 votes
Deleted user April 5, 2017

Could you please let us know do you plan to implement assignee for Test Cycle and when? Thanks you.

0 votes
JohnathanZ December 3, 2015

@Dan Schiff - Yes, it is for Server. I updated my response to include that clarification. Sorry for the confusion!

graham white December 3, 2015

When can we expect this for Cloud please? And why is Cloud out of step with server?

JohnathanZ December 3, 2015

@graham white I don't have a timeframe on when it'll ship in Cloud, yet. Cloud as a whole is a completely separate line because Atlassian has set some pretty strict rules and limitations for plugins on their Cloud platform and as such a lot of the elements in Server aren't shared with Cloud at all. We're trying to work around the limitations Atlassian has set forth but from a development perspective it can be challenging at times. Our developers here know this is a highly requested feature and it's something we're working on.

graham white December 3, 2015

Thanks

reddy Nagaraja December 16, 2015

Hi Johnatham, any update on this feature in JIRA cloud, we are facing difficult time to plan the test executions Thanks Nagaraja Reddy

Satyajeet Deshpande August 17, 2016

is there any plans on getting this feature on JIRA Cloud?

0 votes
Dan Schiff November 27, 2015

@Johnathan Lyman [Zephyr]  (or anyone at Zephyr) when you said said:

"'its great to see so many people who want this feature! With that being said, Zephyr for JIRA 2.6 officially supports this."

That doesn't apply to Zephyr for JIRA cloud?

So JIRA 2.6 means Zephyr for JIRA Server?

That really wasn't clear from the post.  

0 votes
graham white September 27, 2015

Hi

We have Zephyr for JIRA Cloud (1.0.8-AC), which I'm assuming is the latest release.

We don't have this functionality - when can we expect it?

We moved from Zephyr for JIRA Server 6 months ago, but have been asking for this for over 2 years.

Thanks

Graham

Ginette Stead November 26, 2015

We too need this functionality, please provide an estimate as to when Zephyr for Jira Cloud will receive an upgrade.

0 votes
Dan Schiff September 25, 2015

How are companies with larger groups of testers working around this, 

Do you... just email people with lists of tests to fill out with links to the test? 

e.g. 

Hi Dan, please do the following test cases

ads-441 save and submit button on form page (linked to test case)

ads-874: search returns top 10 results... 

We'd love to use zephyr if it has the assign test case feature, or some manageable workaround but it feels like we are better off with testlink unless we can sort this out.

0 votes
Deleted user July 28, 2015

Do we have an ETA on the delivery of this functionality?  

As a QA manager it would help significantly with seeing who needs help with running their tests when you have a test cycle that has over 1600 tests and a team of 8+ testers working from the same test cycle.

Thank you!

0 votes
Jiben Prakash July 5, 2015

Hi Zephyr Support Team,

We are using the evaluation version.

As many pointed out, this a basic need of any test management tool.

It would be great if you could provide an expected  release date so that we can plan accordingly.

Thank you.

0 votes
Patricia Gamboa December 5, 2014

My company is also evaluating zephyr and I agree with all the above comments, this is basic functionality needed to effectively manage test execution.  Please give update on when we can expect this. This could a be a deal breaker for us.  I vote for the soft assignments.

0 votes
Helen di Lallo November 17, 2014

Hello - just adding my voice to the list of concerned people - we REALLY need this functionality.

We have end to end scenarios where different people test their own functionality - so we need to create a test cycle that reflects the business scenario(s) and where we can assign to testers and they can find their own tests.

Soft assignment is perfect. (Just the ability to be able to create filters/sort by Assignee would be great). We don't need anything complicated.

Please give us any news on when we can expect this!!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events