Structure - auto indent

Sean July 24, 2012

I've been using the Structure plug-in for a while and it is useful. I populate my structures using filters. The filter pulls in all the items I want. From that point I manually group and indent the items to get a nice hierarchy. I would like to get away from having to manually indent and group the items. It can be time consuming to do this work. Is there a way to write a filter than when used to populate a structure will automatically group and indent?

For example can I write a filter that returns a parent issue and its related subtasks and when I use that filter to populate a structure the results will already be grouped (parent with related subtasks, next parent with related subtasks, etc)? The filter would essentially have logic that states "return all parent items and for each parent item return related subtasks.

Structure would look like this:

Parent Item 1

sub-task a

Parent Item 2

sub-task b

sub-task c

1 answer

0 votes
Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2012

Sean, do you use "Search" functionality of the Structure grid, or do you use "Filter Synchronizer"?

If you're asking about Search function, you can search for a parent issue, add it to the structure, then search for its children issues, and add them to the structure as the sub-issues of the parent. To do the latter, run search for the children issues, click on the parent in the structure and hit Ctrl+Shift+Enter shortcut to insert the issues from the search result *under* the selected issue. You can also use Copy & Paste. Documentation: https://wiki.almworks.com/x/cQBy

If you're asking about Filter Synchronizer, it is possible to configure the synchronizer to add matching issues under the specified issue. But you'll have to create one synchronizer for each parent. Documentation: https://wiki.almworks.com/x/wQKf

There are also other synchronizers: if you want to see all JIRA subtasks in structure (from the standard sub-task feature in JIRA), you can use Sub-tasks synchronizers.

The filter that you describe ("return all parent items and for each parent item return related subtasks") sounds fine, but the search result in JIRA is a plain list of issues, and it's not clear which issue there is a parent and which is a sub-issue.

Hope this helps!
Igor

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events