Resource Allocation and Time Estimation in Structure

Jim Hong January 10, 2014

Hi there,

I've just installed the Structure plug-in today and things are looking pretty good. However, I need to find a way to show allocated resources to a particular task/feature/etc. Is there an easy way to do this?

Also, I've finding it difficult to track progress without creating a zillions sub-tasks that when marked "Resolved" then move the progress bar on the parent task. Any way to keep an item open but mark percentage complete?

Sorry if these are FAQs.

Thanks,

Jim

2 answers

0 votes
Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2014

Hi Jim,

Thanks for trying our product. Could you please elaborate what do you mean by "show allocated resources"? The basic JIRA way to allocate a task to a resource is to set the Assignee field. You can of course show Assignee field in Structure, and any other field - see here for detailed docs with screenshots: https://wiki.almworks.com/x/5Aqf

For your second question, Progress column is very much customizable - you can set it up to show progress based not only on the Resolution field, but also based on some arbitrary custom numeric field (which you'll need to add in the JIRA administration), or based on statuses or time tracking. Docs here: https://wiki.almworks.com/x/agBg

Hope this helps!
Igor

Hi Igor,

Thanks for getting back to me. On the first item, I'd like to be able to track a specific entry by number of heads. The "Assigned To" field is one I'm using to denote Responsibility. Some items will take as little as a .5 heads while others may take 3-4 heads to complete.

THanks,

Jim

Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2014

Jim, thanks for the clarification. While there's no dedicated functionality for such tracking (not in Structure nor in JIRA), nothing stops you from creating a custom field called "Allocated Resources" and record a number there. The question is, will you need additional functionality based on that number.

Igor

Jim Hong January 13, 2014

Thanks, Igor. I think the functionality I'd like to be able to use is the ability to show and aggregate such a custom field in the Views (e.g. Planning, tracking, et.). Is that doable?

Thanks,

Jim

Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 21, 2014

Hi Jim, sorry for delayed reply. Yes indeed this is doable -- Structure can aggregate any numeric field. The views (Planning etc) are just presets -- you can define your own views or add any columns to the existing views. Some columns have additional options, and for numeric columns you'll be able specify "show me the total".

Details here: https://wiki.almworks.com/x/5Aqf

Hope this helps!
Igor

0 votes

Hi Igor,

Thanks for getting back to me. On the first item, I'd like to be able to track a specific entry by number of heads. The "Assigned To" field is one I'm using to denote Responsibility. Some items will take as little as a .5 heads while others may take 3-4 heads to complete.

THanks,

Jim

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events