Project timeline missing from gantt Chart

Jan Croker January 30, 2013

I apply an 'All issues' filter (which is all issues across 3 projects (Consultancy, Holidays, Internal)) I am not getting the project timeline to separate the issues, i.e. separating them into their associated projects. A long list like this is very inconvenient and I know that I didn't have this problem before??

I am using the plugin gantt-2.1.8-JIRA5.2-UPM2.8 - is this a recent change?

10 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Frank Polscheit
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2013

Okay, I will have a more detailled look at this and prepare a bug-fix minor release. As soon as I have a pre-release, I will publish this upfront on my server and post the URL, so that you can have that as early as possible.

Regards,
Frank

Jan Croker February 5, 2013

I definitely saw this working before - if that helps?

0 votes
Frank Polscheit
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2013

Yes, I will proceed with hourly planning and displaying issues having planning dates intraday is the first step.

You have to map your new customfields: switch to admin mode - plugins - Gantt Chart -> on tab "Customfields" please click on the related new customfields in order to select them and hit "apply".

Regards,
Frank

0 votes
Frank Polscheit
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 10, 2013

Hi Jan,

you cannot use the "edit" customfield action as this does not allow to change the customfield's type! You can do this via SQL on the database level if you are familiar that deep within JIRA administration or you can add other, new customfields named like "new planned start date" and "new planned end date" etc. and select type "date/time" for it. Then, you have to use bulk copy of all your issues together with a copy-function for customfields to copy the old content to the new. If you have not such copy-function available, please install a corresponding plugin with this functionality e.g. from the Marketplace. Afterwards, you have to re-map this new customfields within the main Gantt-Configuration and delete the old ones. I recommend to make a backup before this actions in order to reduce risk.

You can specify the daily starting time within the Gantt-Configuration on tab "calendar" at the bottom and it takes your JIRA's amount of working hours to determine end-of-business without taking care of any pauses, which can differ per individuum.

Regards,
Frank

Jan Croker February 11, 2013

Hi Frank,

Being new to JIRA, I don't want to mess about at the moment - or lose what I have!

I have just quickly created the new types (Planned Start Time/Planned End Time), leaving the original ones there. In principle this would work, but I'm obviously not doing this properly, i,.e. I still have Planned Start/End

If I delete the normal Planned Start/End fields (not a problem as this is a dummy system), how will you then know to pick up the Planned Start Time/Planned End Time fields in order to present them properly in the chart?

I appreciate this is ongoing development and the display in hours needs to be sorted out, along with 'completion' (currenlty showing as 100%) .

I only need to know if you are proceeding with this hourly planning scheme, which is what we want, in order to propose it to my team lead.

thanks,

jan

0 votes
Frank Polscheit
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 10, 2013

Hi Jan,

please download and install my pre-v2.2 from my server at http://www.polscheit.de/plugins/jira/gantt-chart/gantt-2.2-JIRA5.2-UPM2.8.1.jar. You may have to upgrade Atlassian UPM to the current v2.8.1 before.

If you change the customfield type of the planning dates (start/end) from DATEPICKER to DATETIME, you can at least manually insert start/end dates having set hours:minutes intraday. On the Gantt-Chart, you can use the new feature of inline-editing this planing dates and times.

Alternatively, you can delete the planning dates before installing pre-v2.2 (they will be created as DATETIME automatically) but you will loose your current planning dates by this fast and easy approach (NOT FOR PRODUCTION!).

Regards,
Frank

Jan Croker February 10, 2013

Hi frank,

Thank-you for the update - but I'm having problems.

I can't change the custom field type to 'Date Time' - I can only see Date Range picker in the search template?

Also, the 'hourly' timeline only displays from 6:00 to 13:30.

0 votes
Frank Polscheit
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 6, 2013

Please download my pre-v2.1.9 (depending on your JIRA version) from my server at:

- http://www.polscheit.de/plugins/jira/gantt-chart/gantt-2.1.9-JIRA5.1-UPM2.8.jar

- http://www.polscheit.de/plugins/jira/gantt-chart/gantt-2.1.9-JIRA5.2-UPM2.8.jar

Does this fixes it within your environment?
Regards,
Frank
Jan Croker February 6, 2013

Hello Frank,

Thank-you again for your rapid response! I have downloaded the pre-v2.1.9 plugin and it solves the problem - so great!

Just to let you know, the file at your '5.2' link (I am using JIRA 5.2.4.1) is actually

'gantt-2.1.9-JIRA5.1-UPM2.8.jar --- seems to work though!

Regards,

Jan

Jan Croker February 10, 2013

Hi Frank,

I was just talking to my boss about the inability to display tasks within 1 day and 'lo' - your pre-v2.1.9 release has an 'hourly' setting in the timeline! I had told him it didn't exist and I was looking into alternatives.

So, brilliant additional functionaility. At the moment, if I create 4 x 2 hourly slots, only 2 are shown in the hourly display, each of 6 hours in parallel. t would be nice to be able to schedule a start-time for hourly slots - I just wondered if this was your intention.

Would be interested in your proposal, as it is a bit of a breaker for us. thanks, Jan

0 votes
Frank Polscheit
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2013

Within the gadget or on the project view?

Problem is seen in both.

0 votes
Frank Polscheit
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2013

So, it is working fine for you now?

Hi Frank,

I now have the problem that I can't expand/collapse the issues display (left hand pane). Also, I am not getting the vertical scroll bar when I use the chart in the Projects; page - ok in the gadget with multiple projects . So, it is not working properly for me!

Sorry, scroll bar is fine (must remeber bigger time period) - its just the collapse/expand from the 'triangles' - they are re-orineted from right-hand pountuing to downwards, but the individual issues below do not collapse.

0 votes

I have just updated the Gantt Chart plugin to v2.1.82 and re-indexed - it has burst into life!!!

0 votes
Frank Polscheit
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2013

Hi Jan,
on the Gantt-Gadget, you have to switch the time within the gadget-config! So, click on the gadget top right menu and select "edit" to open the configuration.

Regards,
Frank

0 votes
Frank Polscheit
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2013

Hi Jan,
on the Gantt-Gadget, you have to switch the time within the gadget-config! So, click on the gadget top right menu and select "edit" to open the configuration.

Regards,
Frank

Jan Croker February 4, 2013

This is not to do with the timeline on the chart itself - the problem is why the issues are not grouped into their individual projects in the left hand pane.

To be specific - the Project Progress bar is missing at project level.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events