JIRA Agile and Zephyr: Link Test to Story

Frank Høvin January 9, 2014

Is it possible to link a Test to a Story? I've created an Epic, and a Story linked to this. Now I want to create a Test linked to the Story. But the only option I have for the Test is to link it to an Epic, which is really not what I want (this being, as I see it, two different test phases/levels).

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Frank Høvin January 14, 2014

I had to find this out for myself: Tests can indeed be linked to a Story - or any other kind of issue. Just not while creating it. It has to be linked manually afterwards. The "Link to Epic" is apparently a rarely used feature, so I'm unsure why it's there when creating the Test.

0 votes
Caroline Horgan February 25, 2020

Hi :) So just to clarify - there's no way to set the Zephyr test case as a sub task rather than it's own issue? It's clogging up the backlog and I'd prefer it to exist under a story  in the same way a sub task does. The test case passing is part of our definition of done for a user story, so it seems strange to just link it as something that's only "related".  Has anyone achieved this? 

Daniel Hong May 19, 2020

We've changed our approach because this was happening with us. With zephyr, it almost feels like test cases are not meant to be part of the agile board because I'm constantly creating new test cases for a story and it gets closed. There is no way to reuse the test cases unless I'm cloning them. So, we just changes direction and we stopped creating test cases for each story. We just create a test case for each feature, sub-feature or functionality. Then create a cycle that corresponds to the current sprint and create new test executions under it.

So, we are compiling a library of test cases with standard zephyr issues, using it as a TCM - and using test execution to plan each sprint. We are linking the story with the test case via "related" link.

We've only just started doing this so it'll take time getting use to it.

Jem March 12, 2021

any idea how to properly use and map these 3 fields?

1. Issue Key[to add steps]

2. Issue Link Type

3. Issue Key to Link

currently using labels to make the association between different issue types

thanks

0 votes
Igor Kosoy March 18, 2019

It has been 5 years since this question was posted. Anything changed to make Test Cases creation on the Story view page easier? Thank you.

jamie tannenbaum May 13, 2019

WE created a flex field in the zephyr form to link the tet case to a user story

Igor Kosoy May 13, 2019

The expected functionality would be to add test cases (just like Sub-Tasks ) directly from the User story or Epics story pages. 

Like SHRIPAD KULKARNI likes this
SHRIPAD KULKARNI July 22, 2019

Jamie, are you saying creating a flex field has helped you solve the issue of linking the test case to User Story and not the Epic as parent link?

0 votes
monika jha March 3, 2015

Its not an answer to your question but seeking solution to my problem

i am wondering same. DId you find answer to it.
I have one more issue. Is there any way to see to which test case particular defect is linked to.
I can see Epic and defect relationship from Epic. But if i want to make sure if defect is linked or not to test case/epic. Is defect is left standalone?
Have you came across this issue?

0 votes
Emily Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2014

Hi Frank,

It is important to note that a Zephyr test is a standard JIRA issue type. This means it follows the same rules as any other standard JIRA issue type. One of the abilities of the standard JIRA issue type is that you can link one to another.

My question is, is the Story you want to link the Test to a standard JIRA issue type? Or is it something else like a sub task?

Kind Regards,

Emily

Frank Høvin January 12, 2014

Hi. The Story is a standard Jira Story. First, I created an Epic issue. Then I created a Story issue, linked to the Epic. It's the Story issue I'd like to link my Test to. (The Test is created from the Tests menu -> Create a Test.)

Here's how I'd like it to be:

Epic 1 <---- Story 1 <--- S-Test 1
Epic 1 <---- Story 2 <--- S-Test 2
                     <--- S-Test 3
Epic 1 <---- Story 3 <---S- Test 4
Etc.

The reason for this is that I'm exploring Epics as being similar to business requirements, and functional/non-functional/system/etc. requirements as Issues linked to an Epic. Just as a business requirement is on a high level, and has multiple functional etc. requirements linked to it, and Epic gets multiple Stories. And for testing, f.ex. systems testing is done against the Stories (functional etc. requirements), and f.ex. acceptance testing is done against the Epics (business requirements). However, if Zephyr Tests can only be linked to Epics and not Stories, then the test architecture and methodology gets severly limited.

Epic 1 <--- A-test 1
etc.

Frank Høvin January 13, 2014

For some reason, I didn't see the general option to link issues to eachother. I can, of course, link a Test to a Story with "relates to". I'm unsure if this is the way it's supposed to be done? And I'm wondering why there is an "Epic link" field when creating the test, but no other link field?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events