Insight IQL: filter results by the value of another attribute

Mathew Ferrante September 21, 2017

Greetings,

I am utilizing Insight for asset management. I've created and populated the following object types: Manufacturer, Device Type, and Model.

I have those objects types added as attributes to an object type called "Corporate Asset". I am trying to set it up so that when someone creates an object under Corporate Asset -- if they were to chose Laptop under Device Type and Lenovo under Manufacturer -- that when you click the Model drop down it populates objects under the Model object type that corresponds to the previous selections of Laptop and Lenovo. I believe this can be done via the anyattribute function of IQL but don't know how to set it up to search all the Model objects by what was populated in the Device Type and Manufacturer fields.

Something like the following IQL query:
anyattribute = "Corporate Asset".Manufacturer

This doesn't work obviously. I would like to be able to reference the current attribute value of Manufacturer and Device Type so that it checks for all Models that have those values assigned to them.

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

4 answers

2 votes
Alexander Sundström
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2017

Hi Mathew,

As of today with Insight version 5.0.4, it's not possible to have cascading options in your dropdown when you select values for objects. This is something we are gonna look at for a future update, but I can't say right now when this might be implemented.

Best Regards
Alexander

Mathew Ferrante September 22, 2017

Thank you for letting me know this Alex. Is there a ticket in for a feature request for this? I'd love to give my input and have some tracking on this item.

I'd love to use Insight but due to the needs of my organization we will need to pursue other asset management options until Insight has this feature in place.

Alexander Sundström
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2017

Hi Matthew, and thanks for the response.

There is tickets for this, but the system is not open in that sense that we currently have a way of showing feature requests and bugs etc openly. They belong to a reporter so to say. 

Best Regards
Alexander

Ola_Melin
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2017

Mathew, 

Good news! This is under construction and will be included in the upcoming release of Insight (5.1).

You will be able to do something like the following in the IQL configuration for the reference attribute.

Manufacturer = ${Manufacturer} AND "Device Type" = ${Device Type}

The right hand side can contain one or more placeholders and the values will be populated by the value currently of that Attribute Type. 

Like # people like this
petmod October 2, 2017

Hi Ola,

Good to hear this will be coming out in 5.1, would you be able to share an estimate of when that may be? 

Thanks

0 votes
Service Desk July 20, 2022

Hey,

So this is the exact problem I wanted to solve in the new system I am building.

I did what Ola_Melin said changing the field name to my own and worked an absolute treat.

Thanks!

0 votes
Son May 16, 2018

@Mathew FerranteI have same problem with you. Could some one help me please?

Peter Merkel _mgm-tp_ December 18, 2018

+1

Shamil Farajullayev July 24, 2019

+1

0 votes
Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 21, 2017
Mathew Ferrante September 21, 2017

This documentation specifically speaks about integrating custom Insight fields into JIRA Service Desk which is not what I am looking for. Once I can create assets the way I want to, I can focus on importing them into JIRA Service Desk.

I want to be able to create my assets and have them dynamically populate model information based on selections I make in the drop down boxes for Device Type and Manufacturer.

For example if I setup the following IQL query attached to the Model attribute:

allattributes = "Lenovo"

-or-

Manufacturer = "Lenovo"

It will filter all the model objects I have for Lenovo. I need what comes after the = operator to be something dynamic. Ideally, I would like to have something that looks like

"Device Type" = attributeID(551) AND Manufacturer = attributeID(552).Value

... where it pulls what was selected from those two attributes and populates a model list that meets those criteria.

Like Tom Martin likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events