How to generate a query that filters tests based on Zephyr Test Case Execution status

Shane Parkinson November 4, 2012

We have the Zephyr test case plugin but are finding that it's very hard to track test cases as the widgets on the dashboard don't enable you to click on the test execution status graphs that show testing progress by cycle to see the list of issues that have that specifix test executions status.

We tried creating a query to list for instance all test cases with a test execution status of "blocked" but we can't find the field to use to search for this.

How do you create a query that list all test cases in a cycle which have a specific status applied?

11 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2012

Hi Shane,

We are working on increasing the abililty to get detailed reporting from Zephyr. At this point, it isn't possible to use queiries to find various test statuses.

We are anticipating the next major release of Zephyr will come out in 2012 and include the ability to export test results. Further reporting improvements will come in time.

Kind Regards
Chris

Tomas O'Flaherty November 25, 2012

Hi,

Has this been resolved? I also would like to query based on the latest Execution Status of a issue. This is key to gathering metrics and will be both internal and client facing.

Like Deleted user likes this
Jamie Browning May 12, 2020

How is this an accepted answer!
8 years later still an issue.

Like # people like this
Deleted user September 7, 2020

Hello Jira, 

Do we have this features in 2020? 

Like Jacob A. Albrektsen likes this
0 votes
Pedro Perez June 24, 2014

David -- can you shed a little more light on the existing Jira tables? Zephyr doesn't offer much flexibility here.

0 votes
Finn Normann August 19, 2013

This is still an issue,

- you cannot query test case status from a cycle or a set of seleceted cycles, or know their status, or otherwise filter.

- overview of test cases in a cycle is bounded to 10 cases in a navigation (next/prev) which is very buggy.

- You cannot sort out specific fields and order by fields to get clarity for a number of people testing.

0 votes
David Buonomano December 19, 2012

I ran into the same problem after recently purchasing Zephyr and I'm now querying the database directly, via a read-only account :). I realize that it's not best practices to go directly into the database for reporting, but this was a critical business need to be able to provide details reports. The new feature allowing you to export a single test cycle is helpful, but I'm held to regulations that require trend analysis over multiple test cycles. You can find the database tables that Zephyr writes to here:

• Administration --> Advanced --> Plugin Data Storage

All the table names are listed there, with a little playing around you can pretty quickly figure out the relationships between the Zephyr tables and the existing JIRA tables so you can produce full detailed reports. This approach still requires some manipulation in Excel, SSRS or some other tool but at least you can get at all the data.

Deepak Mangalore November 9, 2014

Hi David, Did you manage to extract the Test Execution report from Zephyr onto JIRA dashboard? I need to report the test execution detaisl based on Test sessions\cycle.

0 votes
Ravi Rajaram December 19, 2012

I agree with others on this thread regarding the ability to query teh database. We need that ability. We recently licensed Zypher with that assumption. It is critical to our continued use of the product.

0 votes
Ravi Rajaram December 19, 2012

I agree with others on this thread regarding the ability to query the database. We need that ability. We recently licensed Zypher with that assumption. It is critical to our continued use of the product.

0 votes
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2012

Greetings,

I do want to share that imporving this area of the Zephyr is our top priority for the next major release. This information is straight from the top.

Now I can't offer any more specifics yet on exactly what we're going to do and when the next major release is, so I'll put that out there now to head off those questions.

Kind Regards,
Chris

0 votes
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 5, 2012

Hi,

Your reading is correct. We very much understand the role of the functionality and do desire to have it in a coming build.

The architectural challenge here originates in the fact tha Atlassian made a platform which allows companies to add functionality on to JIRA. However, JIRA itself doesn't automatically know about the testing-centric data that we added in our add-on, and thus doesn't automatically return test result values back into JQL queries.

Kind Regards,
Chris

Shane Parkinson December 5, 2012

Given that the data is stored in the Jira Database are you able to tell me what the Database Tables are that the Zephyr Plugin uses to store this execution data as we maybe able to workaround the issues by qurying the database directly.

We were also looking at what information is returned by the Jira Rest API which we currently use to retrun Jira Issue data. We haven't been able to work out what the request URL would be to return the test cycle execution history for a zephyr test jira.

Are you able to share what the rest URL would be that could be used to return this information?

ErikB January 23, 2013

I am also interested in Shane's workaround suggestion of known tables to query for execution data.

Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 23, 2013

Gents,

Currenlty, Zephyr doesn't offer support to customers accessing the data directly or use of APIs. Queries and API access are on our roadmap for a coming release. As well, our company doesn't share too many details about this roadmap until the functionality is about to be released.

Kind Regards,

Chris

Vasudev Chatti August 15, 2013

Could you please let me know if there is any update on this. I understand that support is not offered to customers accessing the data directy but was wondering if we still have a way to retrieve this data from the database.

Thanks,

VC

0 votes
Greg Binion December 5, 2012

We are evaluating Zephyr for JIRA 1.6. I was hoping that we could setup filters based on these statuses within Jira proper. However, the last post seems to indicated that the answer is still a "no", there is still no way to query test cases by Zephyr Execution Status within Jira. Is my understanding correct?

0 votes
Greg Binion December 5, 2012

We are evaluating Zephyr for JIRA 1.6. I was hoping that we could setup filters based on these statuses within Jira proper. However, the last post seems to indicated that the answer is still a "no", there is still no way to query test cases by Zephyr Execution Status within Jira. Is my understanding correct?

0 votes
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 27, 2012

Hi,

Zephyr for JIRA 1.6 is out! We've added numerous new features and bug fixes. For anyone following this post, you'll be happy to hear that we now offer the ability to export tests cycles and their results.

Kind Regards,
Chris

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events