How do I get logging working for script runner in a script listener

John Beveridge April 13, 2016

JIRA 2.0.7

ScriptRunner 4.2.0.7

Hi,

I'm adding a script listener to conditionally set an issue's state based on the value of a custom field. If I leave the condition blank (true) in the script listener, the listener works as expected. However when I insert my code, it's failing. I can't seem to get any logging information.

Could I get some help enabling logging for the Script Runner listener scripts? I'm sure I can figure out why this is returning 'false' once I have more information.

Thanks,

JB>

Code in the 'Condition' field of teh script listener (Type: Fast-track transition an issue)

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor

def customFieldManager = ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager()
def language = issue.getCustomFieldValue(customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObject("customfield_11505"))

log.info("Language:" + language)
return language == 'English'

4 answers

2 votes
John Beveridge April 13, 2016

Thanks for the response.

This doesn't work for me. I get no entry in either the atlassian-jira.log or in the 'logs' entry for the listener on the last 15 executed listeners popup.

However, when I added my own custom logger, I got logging in the listener popup but still nothing in the atlassian-jira.log.

I've done some more digging and this works as expected:

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.customfields.option.LazyLoadedOption

import org.apache.log4j.Level
import org.apache.log4j.Logger

def myLog = Logger.getLogger("com.onresolve.jira.groovy")
myLog.setLevel(Level.DEBUG)

def customFieldManager = ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager()
def language = issue.getCustomFieldValue(customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObject("customfield_11505"))
def value = ((LazyLoadedOption)language).getValue()
myLog.debug("Test for equality: " + (value == 'English'))
return value == 'English'

I'd prefer not to have to use a custom logger. I'm wondering why your suggestion doesn't work for us.

I do have the the package 'com.onresolve.jira.groovy set up in Logging and Profiling as DEBUG.

Thanks,

JB>

Paddy Byrne April 13, 2016

Something like that happened me a few days ago and I discovered I set the default log to the wrong value.

image2016-4-13 23:9:56.png

Go to the admin section, find 'logging and profiling' on the left hand side and click into it. scroll down to where the logging is listed and set the 'default' one to DEBUG. When I set this back to debug, I could then see all my log.debug entries from my scripts in the last 15 executed scripts section..

Worked for me anyway. I think I mistakenly changed the level of this log in one of my scripts when experimenting...

2 votes
Michael Partyka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2016

Hi John,

here you should find everything:

https://jirasupport.wordpress.com/2015/05/27/configure-groovy-scriptrunner-logs/

Basically you need:

log.error "Debug message"

log.debug

0 votes
Sergey Karaev _Aplana_ October 7, 2019

+
Scriptrunner does not show all logs from the Script Console. Error  https://productsupport.adaptavist.com/browse/SRJIRA-2532

0 votes
adammarkham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2016

If you want to turn on debug logging you can configure your log4j properties for this in a dev environment: https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/common/DevEnvironment.html#_a_use_an_existing_instance

If you want a simple way of enabling debug logging temporarily you can use the code here: https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/getting-help.html#_support_requests

Otherwise its easiest to use a higher logging level:

log.warn("Logging!")

A simple test is to do logging from the script console and see if you get the message in the logs as expected.

Carsten Hilber
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2017

I tried exactly this, logging from the Script Console in Confluence, but the Logs Tab is always empty:

import groovy.json.JsonBuilder
import org.apache.log4j.Category

import static com.atlassian.sal.api.net.Request.MethodType.POST

def Category log = Category.getInstance("com.onresolve.jira.groovy")
log.setLevel(org.apache.log4j.Level.DEBUG)
log.debug "debug statements"
log.warn("Logging!")
log.error("Logging!")
log.fatal("Logging!")

any idea on that?

Ron L August 29, 2017

I'm having the same issue where in Scripted Fields and the Script console logs work fine, but in the Custom Listener Preview log statements don't output anything under the Logs tab.

@Carsten Hilber did you figure it out on your end?

Carsten Hilber
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2017

@Ron L nope, i skipped trying without a solution....

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events