How can I export test results to excel from Test execution cycles view

Amit Sek September 17, 2012

I have some test results for test cases which are assigned to different test cycles. I can see the meterices and test cycle view where zephyr shows the results but I can't find any option to export test results. If I search test cases using native Jira search then I don't see zephyr test case pass fail status so really stuck.

19 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dave Coleman January 7, 2014

I would like to update my response to this Anwsers thread.

As of Zephyr for JIRA version 2.1.1.1463, it IS possible to export full details of test executions and the nested test steps. It's a little obscure, which is why it took me 3 months and a conversation with support to find it, but it's there and it works well.

For starters, make sure you reindex both JIRA and Zephyr for JIRA. Yes, there are two indexes, and you need to re-index both of them after you upgrade your Zephyr add-on.

Next, under the Tests menu, there is a Search Test Executions menu option.

This brings up a blank query entry box. The simplest query would be "cycleName = <yourTestCycleNameHere>". If you re-indexed JIRA, your cycleNames should auto-populate as you type, and if you re-indexed Zephyr, the query will execute successfully.

The query results will pull up all the test results associated with that test cycle. In the top right corner is an export button that gives you a few options for retrieiving your data (xml, rss, html, csv, excel). I was able to retreive all results, comments, and other details from even my oldest test executions. It's all accessible now.

I'm a little disappointed it took over a year to implement, but it's nice to know the Zephyr team is listening. I would like to see a better interface on the Search Test Executions page... something akin to the JIRA 6 Issue Navigator filter bar, so my less technically savy users can still access test result.

But, it works now, and I'll gladly recommend Zephyr for JIRA to anyone who asks.

Rick_Barton December 12, 2018

That method gives the grid export of the test runs. What I would like is an export of the individual test STEPS within the runs, along with any comments.

Damian Hocking March 18, 2019

Hi Richard,

Select Tests --> Plan Test Cycle.

On the Cycle Summary tab highlight the executed cycle then select Export Cycle (see screenshot attached).

That will produce an .csv which you can customise to your requirements.  If you work out how to export the attachments to tests (eg. screenshots) please let me know.Export Cycle.PNG

Ripanjot Aneta March 24, 2022

Hi Damian, 

I tried the same thing you mentioned on my test cycle, but i dont have the option Export Cycle.

Is there a query or a way to get this option?

Please let me know how can i achieve it.

Thank you. :)

2 votes
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2012

Ladies and Gents,

We're working hard to add the ability of exporting results to Zephyr for JIRA in or very near to the release date of our next major release.

At this point, I can't share an expected release date for ZFJ 1.6, but wanted to let you all now it has been prioritiezed due to "very" popular demand.

Kind Regards,

Chris

ErikB October 23, 2012

Great news, Chris! Is there a place we can view what all is scheduled to be included in the next release?

1 vote
Eric Shepherd December 4, 2013

I'm not sure if you guys have figured it out yet but you can export test cases. Just go to My Open Issues, adjust the filters (Project, Type, Status, etc), select the Export link in the upper right hand corner, choose the opt Excel (All Fields).

Once you have the data in Excel you can tweak it. Hope this helps someone.

P.S Just be sure your issue type is "Test".

Ted Carter December 5, 2013

Thanks, Eric - our QA department has tried this out with a great deal of success and appreciation!

Ted

1 vote
geomatani July 14, 2013

Chris,

i have version Zephyr 1.7 and test cases exporting with detailed steps still not possibele.

1 vote
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2013

Hi,

In Zephyr 1.6 we added an "export cycle" button to the Cycle Area. This sends out a list of testcases and their testing results.

https://zephyrdocs.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ZTD/Exporting

Kind Regards,

Chris

ErikB January 22, 2013

Hi Chris- thanks for getting at least this start implemented. However, there are no test step details or pass/fail results of individual test steps in the export, only the Summary field is included in the export of test results.

Will you be adding test steps and their individual results to the test results export in the future?

Dave Coleman May 8, 2013

I'm in the same boat. It's nice to be able to export a summary, but most of the detail is in the test step comments. That's where the real value lies. Any progress in the last few months?

0 votes
Katherine Chee October 30, 2018

Hi, anyone know whether it is possible to export test result together with attachments like screenshots?

Thanks.

Arunkumar November 26, 2019

I am looking for the same option in zephyr to download the attachments also along with the test steps for which you have attached. 

Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 26, 2019

You can give Better Excel Exporter a try. It can export all Zephyr related custom fields to Excel, but not the attachments. If you don't insist on the Excel format, you can download issue attachments to PDF with Better PDF Exporter.

0 votes
geomatani January 8, 2014

Yes,

This works now!

Thanks

0 votes
Amit Sek January 8, 2014

Great

0 votes
Ted Carter December 5, 2013

Now supported!

0 votes
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 29, 2013

Hello,

Zephyr for JIRA 2.0 should really help this out. Check it out!

Kind Regards,

Chris

Dave Coleman October 29, 2013

I'm not sure how this is supposed to help us. Zephyr for JIRA 2.0 still does not allow us to export the specific test results from a Test Cycle execution.

Unless I'm missing something somewhere?

0 votes
geomatani October 29, 2013

Hopefully this future will be available soon!

I am still gonna stick around for other useful futures of Zephyr

0 votes
BrianRTL September 26, 2013

Dave - We are in the same boat. Is there a different tool you are using in place of Zephyr? The lack of export makes Zephyr unusable for us.

Dave Coleman January 7, 2014

The newest version of Zephyr works now. I've added details on how to get it working to this thread. Sorry for not replying sooner, but I had no other tool; we reverted to manual tracking while we waited for this fix.

0 votes
Dave Coleman September 26, 2013

I've given up on Zephyr for JIRA at this point, mainly due to this inability to retreive our results. The tool had potential, but it hamstrung itself then ignored this issue for over a year. Thanks for trying, anyway.

0 votes
NISHA AMIN September 26, 2013

I would like to know when Zephyr will update to include fields such as "Test Step", "Test Data", and "Expected Results" in the "Export Tests" menu on the Test Cycle --> Settings screen.

Also, when the tests are exported from the Test Cycle screen --> Settings --> Export Tests, the Comments for each step does not export. It seems like "Comments" from the Test Case Details exports but not for each step.

Lastly, it would be nice if Zephyr could rename the Comments to "Actual Results" and also provide some way of exporting the requirements linked in a test case.

My Company is very much interested in using Zephyr as our Test Management Tool however, inability to do the items as listed above prevents us from fully purchasing this product.

Would you know if the items listed above are on your roadmap to address?

0 votes
Ian Mayoh January 27, 2013

This relates to the inability to search effectively for anything to do with cycles, cases and steps in JIRA. Cannot search on test cycles at all, cannot search on test steps, and cannot search on results of test cases. I am having to write my own SQL queries to extract useful info on test execution, e.g. how many test cases failed in version x of project y and in which cycles.

0 votes
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2013

Hi Eric,

We plan on improving this area of the tool soon. There will be both a short term improvement sooner than later and then a better improvement later. Sorry, I have to be ambigious here, but yes there are imporvements coming down the pipe.

Kind Regards,
Chrsi

0 votes
Ted Carter January 21, 2013

Is there a status update to this issue?

0 votes
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 18, 2012

Hi Amit.

We'd like to chat you about the oportunity and see how we can fit your needs. Could you send me an email directly please at support at getzephyr dot com? We'll take it from there.

Kind Regards,

Chris

0 votes
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 17, 2012

HI.

Currently Zephyr for JIRA doesn't support the export of test statuses. This is on our roadmap for a future build.

Currently the best way to review testcases is to view them individually in the tool and see each execution of a testcase or view a cycle and see each of the testcase executions in the cycle.

Kind Regards,

Chris

Amit Sek September 18, 2012

We have planned to use Zephyr for Jira add on for test case management and we are hoping 100,000 test cases for this project. This functionality will be the core for us. We are in the process of purchasing this add on. Could you tell me when and which release this functionality will be included.

Thanks,

Amit

ErikB September 19, 2012

We are also very interested in this ability as we are contractually obligated to deliver hard copies of test cases/results to an external customer. We're currently evaluating both Zephyr for JIRA and synapseRT for test case management, and not being able to export would be a deal killer I'm afraid.

Can you share more of the timeline for when this will be available?

Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 19, 2012

Hi Erik B,

Can you also contact us directly at support at getzephyr dot com? We will get in touch with you and discuss the details.

Kind Regards,

Chris

Li October 11, 2012

We are very interested in this ability as we need deliver hard copies of test cases/results to an external customer. After evaluation of Zephyr for JIRA, this option is quite important for us.

ErikB October 11, 2012

To add a little more information for the others who are interested in this, contacting Zephyr support directly results in being transferred to a sales rep who tries to upsell to the full-blown product, which does do the export.

Apparently plans to export from JIRA are not in the works or they don't see it as being worthwhile, which was disappointing.

Ripanjot Aneta March 24, 2022

Hi Everyone,

Is there any update on this? Has the plug in to export test cycle reports to a common space or excel been added to JIRA?

Please advise.

Thank you.

Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 25, 2022

@Ripanjot Aneta 

Better Excel Exporter exports Zephyr test results to Excel.

Have you tried it? What was missing?

Ripanjot Aneta March 25, 2022

Hi @Levente Szabo _Midori_ ,

I have not tried what you mentioned, as these plug ins are not available on Zephyr scale for our company.

The only option i have is to export the execution report one by one, which will take years to do so.

I will definitely look into these options you mentioned. 

Thank you for your response.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events