KonMari method + Trello = a perfect combination

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 24, 2019

Since it has been eight years since I became "a minimalist" and purged 80% of my belongings (Read: Confessions of a Former Pack Rat) - I thought it was time for another round of decluttering (maintenance). Once or twice a decade sounds about right. With 2020 around the corner I want to start the year off on the right note.

download (2).jpg

I recently read "The life-changing magic of tidying up" by Marie Kondo book and learned some new tips, tricks and techniques. I wish that book had have existed back when I did my original decluttering eight years ago (or maybe it did but I was not aware of it at that time). If you haven't had a chance to read the book I highly recommend it, there is also a series on Netflix and several blogs and youtube videos that you can use for inspiration. As an aside, I already gave the book away to a friend to pay it forward, so it won't be collecting dust on a bookshelf in my house :) 

kondo.jpg

Marie Kondo's technique is called the "KonMari Method" - here are a few tips and take-aways from her book:

-Tidy all at once
-Visualize the destination
-Determine if the item “sparks joy” 
-Tidy by category, not location
-Tidy In Order

Remember: your only real concern should be discovering which possessions of yours bring actual joy into your life. Marie Kondo shared the ideal order in which you should tidy up, and I found a life-changing KonMari checklist on pinterest (by Jersha and Dup) that I turned into a Trello board. I first thought checklists inside a card would be the way to go, but then decided since each category has a life of it's own I opted for cards instead. That way you can keep track of your progress, note items that are on the fence and need a second look, and you can archive the whole card when you are done of a category. Once the board is empty, your clutter will be too :)

I created a sample board, and made it public so you can copy it and adapt to your own needs. Here is a link to it: KonMari Checklist board.

kondo checklist board.png If you decide to copy the board, you can go through and archive all the cards that are not relevant to items you own, and add in any unique groups of items that may not be listed. You would then start on the "Clothes" list and work your way down the list in order. As mentioned, take the time to read the book first so the whole process will make more sense. For example, Marie Kondo mentions to gather up all of the like items in a pile in one room so you can see everything you have, don't just go from room to room, or you won't realize the extent of what you own.  

Would love to hear your thoughts on the KonMari method, whether or not you have tried it, and what other tips and tricks have worked for you.

declutter.jpg

Happy decluttering!

0 comments

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events