Tips and Tricks for Teleworking and Remote/Virtual Teams

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2020

Working from home this week has been "business as usual" for me as I have been working remotely for the past five years. Working from home was not originally by choice as I am an extrovert and I get my energy from being around people. At the time I had accepted a new job but didn't realize they did not have a physical office in Prince Edward Island (PEI), so the default was work from home. As I had never worked from home before I had to think fast and get into high gear quickly to ensure I was set up and ready to hit the ground running. The first few weeks were challenging, however in time I ended up finding out what worked well for me so that I could get things done efficiently and effectively, while keeping my energy levels up as an extrovert. 

Since many of you are working remotely these days due to the global Covid-19 pandemic, I wanted to share with you my tips and tricks for teleworking and remote/virtual teams. I delivered a presentation back in 2018, and these are some highlights.

NOTE: Not all of these tips may be possible for you to implement if you are going to be teleworking for a short duration, but I am hoping you can adapt and modify to meet your needs, and to get some ideas. You can back-pocket the other tips if you plan to work remotely in "normal circumstances" in the future.

establishing trust.png

set boundaries.png

ergo.png

telework colleagues.png

tools.png

virtual networks.png

usermanual.png

virtual teams.png

And a few more miscellaneous tidbits:

Favourite tips to avoid procrastination: Focusmate, Pomodoro Technique

What I listen to: majority of time pure silence, however if I want some background I listen to Radio Player app (French radio), The Tim Ferris Show, Goop podcast, and classical study music (google play) when I need to be laser focused.

My Routines: Getting at least 250 steps every hour (fitbit reminder at 10 minutes to the hour), drinking lots of water, getting outside for fresh air, exercising daily, virtual and/or in-person coffee dates.

Here's my minimalist workspace (showcasing Bridget's International Womxn's Day desktop backgrounds) and of course Max! 

IMG_1692 (1).JPG

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Teleworking isn't everyone's cup of tea, now is your chance to try it out and see if you can determine what works best for you. We are all different so what works for me, may not work for you. Try different things until it feels right.

I would love to hear some of your telework tips and tricks, and how you are finding the experience so far. Stay safe and be well ♡

1 comment

Comment

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2020

@Jodi LeBlanc Look at that little nugget in the bed! 😭

Like Jodi LeBlanc likes this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 5, 2020

Thanks Erica, Max always wants to be in on the action :)

Like Erica Moss likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events