Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone of you Created and Implemented an Issue Type above an Epic. (Themes, Features)?

JAQ
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 3, 2024

Has anyone of you Created and Implemented an Issue Type above an Epic. (Themes, Features)? How did you use it and What are the advantages and disadvantages?

2 answers

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Rachael Williams June 3, 2024

We implemented Initiatives as soon as we moved to Premium.  Our sizing guidelines are such as Stories and similar issue types at that level can be done within a sprint (or appx 2 weeks), Epics can be done with 1 quarter/3 months (1 PI if you're running SAFe), and an Initiative is something > 3 months.  The advantage is that is allows our value streams to organize their work better and create high level roadmaps that rollup to a single large piece of work, even if it's delivered across multiple teams or value streams.

The hierarchies above Epic need to be created from Plans, and so they behave like portfolio issue types and not core Jira software issue types.  So the only thing I would say is a "disadvantage" is that once a project allows those higher issue types to be created, they don't play well in the Jira boards.  Epics, for example, have a place on the backlog and they can get neatly tucked away into the Epics panel.  Initiatives or other hierarchy items start to get in the way and so you have to manually filter them out of your boards and manage them on dedicated boards. 

Additionally, creating the relationship between the Initiative & child Epics has always been awkward.  In other issue types, you can create the child item straight from the parent (top down).  However, with Initiatives the only way to create the parent/child relationship was from the Epic (bottom up).  You would need to leverage the Parent field and find the Initiative name or key and create the link there.  Good news is that I read a feature is coming soon (or maybe just rolled out last month) to finally fix this and allow child epics to be created for hierarchy levels above epic.

Stephen_Lugton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2024

@Rachael Williams I was able to add an epic as a child to an initiative this morning so it looks like that has been rolled out.

Like Rachael Williams likes this
0 votes
Stephen_Lugton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2024

@JAQ We use both Themes and Initiatives to group epics and initiatives together which helps for visibility and planning.

For example, one team I run is a Marketing / Digital team, part of their work is Marketing Campaigns whilst another is a Commercial Dashboard and rather than having different projects for the same team, we have assigned Marketing Campaigns and Commercial Dashboard as 2 Themes which allows us to plan resources easier.  Within Marketing Campaigns we have a number of Initiatives - Social Media, Exhibitions, Webinars, etc. and in each of these we have the deliverables (epics).

The advantages of this is that we can use one project board / plan for resource planning and delivery timescales, etc. and we use filters to report on individual campaign progress etc.  The biggest disadvantage we've found is one team member who can never remember which epic let alone initiative or theme that her work should go under, it doesn't help that she's the senior marketing lead!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events