AMA: Premium Week

Gabby Williams
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 10, 2021

For the final day of Premium Week, we are hosting an Ask Me Anything (AMA) session with the Jira Software, Jira Service Management, and Confluence Premium teams!

We’ve got the following experts lined up to answer your :fire: burning questions:

Hilary Dubin, Senior Product Manager, Confluence Premium

Ryan Floersh, Product Marketing Manager, Jira Software

Nishant Sasi & Cathi Davey, Sr. Solutions Consultants, ITSM

Here's how it works:

Drop your questions in this discussion any time before or during the AMA. Be sure to :eyes: watch this page for other community members' questions and up-vote those that you find interesting.

🎁 Submitting a question gets you an entry into our Premium Week prize drawings!

At 10 am PST on November 19th, 2021 you can expect to see answers start rolling in from the team. Don’t miss the action – join us here to ask follow-up questions and discuss further with other Community members. We'll wrap the event up at 12 pm PST, but will be sure to follow up with answers to any questions we didn't get to.

26 answers

16 accepted

Suggest an answer

10 votes
Answer accepted
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
November 18, 2021

Are there any especially exciting Premium features coming up soon?

hilarydub
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 19, 2021

On the Confluence side, Automation and Guest Users for external collaboration are two very exciting additions to the Premium package!

Automation for Confluence is built using the same framework as Automation for Jira, so it will allow you to build flexible if this, then that rules in a familiar experience. You can choose from a variety of triggers, conditions, and actions to create the right rules for your team to save time and improve efficiency.

0.5@2x-20211021-163558.png

Guest users are now live in EAP and are a new, secure user role for working with clients and contractors. They only get access where they've been explicitly added, and they can't see sensitive user information like the people directory or user search. We're currently rethinking the pricing model based on EAP feedback so stay tuned on licensing updates!

Page - Myra - intro modal (GTM).png

Like # people like this
5 votes
Answer accepted
Andres de Vivanco November 18, 2021

Thanks so much @Gabby Williams .  AMA question:  Is there a way of automate Confluence page creation and content injection based on real-time data triggers (coming from external APIs or other sources of truth?)  Thanks

hilarydub
Atlassian Team
November 19, 2021

Hi Andres! PM on Confluence Automation here, thanks for the question. Automation in Confluence will function very similarly to Automation in Jira in that you can create flexible rules using a variety of real-time data triggers, conditions, and actions. You could easily create a rule that creates a page based on a range of real-time triggers e.g. label added, comment added by a user in a certain group, space created, etc.

In our initial release for early access, we will have some actions to send messages in third-party tools like Slack or Microsoft Teams. Within the next 3-6 months, we plan to add more triggers and actions from external APIs, other Atlassian tools like Jira, and third-party add-ons.

Is there a specific use-case you had in mind? I'd love to share it with the team so we can prioritize your specific API needs.

Like # people like this
Andres de Vivanco November 20, 2021

Hi @hilarydub 

Great to meet you.  Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply.  I think you might already have what I'm looking for but couldn't find the macro in the marketplace that resembles that much.

Let me try to explain better.  Leave APIs aside and think about observables in Confluence that react to the changes of an HTML page. The user of this macro can specify what changes to reach to - like a new date in a QA Automation pipeline report (wherever is hosted: Bitbucket, Gitlab, Jenkins, etc) and how to react to (what to auto-create). 

This can be any kind of SSOT page (like a  report) but the premise is that it's always hosted and updated in a hardcoded URL or a predictable one.  This is no challenge though as you can usually configure QA reports into single HTML emailable reports, or index.html files, with all content included, that you can copy into the observable location using your CI/CD post-build actions (any software program can add code to do this).

Here is when the Confluence observable reacts based on your previous settings options (visual and data).  It reacts based on your pre-formatting, visually selected, aggregating logic; as soon as it notices the update, maybe by creating a page (or a tab in a page) with the data you have specified to be selected from the HTML report generated.   Thus you only display certain tables or charts (or HTML divs), and If possible have the ability to create specific trends based on formulas you create around table values such as SVG chart points, or whatever data, over time that can include as additional charts.

The result is a a as a new Confluence page but just showing the data, much more executive oriented as it can be easier and more efficiently processes from a business or domain perspective....and QA reports are just a simple example.  Consider possibilities in other fields.

BTW, this must not be confused with the following:

There is a Jira version of this https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1219604/allure-for-jira?tab=overview&hosting=server

We're talking Confluence content-style.  The above Jira plug in has the Jira model of providing only certain formatted content- very useful and Jira like- instead of a Confluence style; organizational and visually appealing that all stakeholders can understand.

Hope if I made myself clear.  Let me know of any questions please. thanks.

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2021

Thank you for making the time to answer all of these wonderful questions!

I was wondering if you can shed any light on plans to include a Confluence Cloud macro for Insight Asset management.  I know Mindville had an Insight macro for Confluence and my team would love to be able to leverage this for reporting purposes to upper management.

Is this something that you are planning to provide in the future?

Thanks!

Cathi Davey
Atlassian Team
November 19, 2021

Hi @Jimmy Seddon It's on our radar and I agree, it will be very helpful to have! Not only for reporting to upper management but also sharing information with the wider teams and users such as current catalog options, what's in stock, facilities information, so many use cases for this feature!

The enhancement request is currently gathering interest so you can help by up voting for it here: request https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-9878 

Thank you!

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2021

Thank you so much @Cathi Davey for the information!  I'm going to go vote right now!

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2021

Upvoted as well!

Like # people like this
3 votes
Answer accepted
Helga Tryggvadóttir November 11, 2021

Question for the AMA:

6 months since we started using Jira cloud. Company of 600 employees.
Jira Software structure: In software department we have Product domains as software projects (with Asset management).
We also have a Project Management "project" in Jira, were we use Initiatives, for dashboards and info on progress for steering committee, directors etc. (helicopter view of all projects)

Now we want to start adding more "regular projects" to Jira. "Regular projects" will have a certain lifetime (1 year +).
Options:

1. Add all "regular projects" to the existing Project Management "project" and use links to Initiatives to distinct backlog items (Only way to see the context of an Epic is to see what Initiative it belongs to)
    - All filtering will be based on Initiative and childs+links
  2. Add separate project for each "regular project" - and archive them when they are done (~ 1year later)       - Are there any particular disadvantages of adding separate projects (approx. 10-20 projects a year)?
  3. Other recommendations from Atlassian?
Ryan Floersch
Atlassian Team
November 19, 2021

Hi Helga - I would recommend going down the path of "point 2" from your above options. By creating a separate project for the smaller pieces of work you will be able to have the option of closing out and archiving those projects when they are complete while still keeping your top level company initiatives intact. Hope that helps!   

Like # people like this
2 votes
Answer accepted
Anita Kalmane
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2021

What makes Jira special from other competitors?

G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2021

Hi @Anita Kalmane here's what the special about Atlassian tools: Gartners magic quadarant-Atlassian report. This report is the industry norm that speaks about a companies stance in the respective category and their ranking.

Like # people like this
2 votes
Answer accepted
Alexis Neveu November 19, 2021

Could you  share more details about ongoing Insight develpment, especially related to discovery and import features ?

We  would like to automate as much as possible asset lifecycle; Insight discovery tool seems to be logical tool to use for that, but I have the feeling there will not be much more feature added to this tool from now. We are new to JSM, and we feel a little lost about how to start with this integrated version of Insight...

What we do not want to do :

- manually import assets using CSV/JSON or Discovery import

- developping our own connector using Insight REST API.

The public Insight roadmap does not mention anything about that. We definitly need to know what is Atlassian short term vision & strategy regarding assets import & discovery in Insight, for us to make the right decision (to be more explicit : we do not wish our asset management strategy to rely on a tool that may be soon deprecated).

Cathi Davey
Atlassian Team
November 19, 2021

Hi @Alexis Neveu

Insight is one of my favorite parts of JSM, it can drive so much value across the entire service delivery workflow, beyond just asset lifecycle management!

As for getting started, this is an excellent resource: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/service-management/resources/insight-cloud-get-started-guide 

When using Insight Discovery, we've recently shipped automatic imports!  

For other sources, as you mention, you can create your own connectors via the REST API (we've recently updated the docs to make that easier). We're also looking at which connectors to create - similar to what we have for Data Center today. If you have a particular source you want to see, please raise it with us. We're all ears!

Like # people like this
Alexis Neveu November 25, 2021

Hi @Cathi Davey , 

About Insigth Discovery tool, could you confirm it will still be supported in the next coming years ?

About the connectors I would like to be available for Insight Cloud : Device42 and SCCM, definitly.

2 votes
Answer accepted
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 18, 2021

Hi @Gabby Williams 

When may we expect Atlassian to release features on Advanced Configuration Management in Jira such as for custom fields or copying configuration from one project to another project with all customisations.

Customisations in Confluence Cloud User Macro.

Thanks,

Pramodh

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 18, 2021

I have a question regarding Opsgenie in JSM. Atlassian wants existing Opsgenie customers to merge into Opsgenie in JSM, since it is more cost effective. But there are some features that currently only exists in the free-standing Opsgenie, like incoming call routing and the mobile app, are there plans to enable those in Opsgenie in JSM? 

Cathi Davey
Atlassian Team
November 19, 2021

Hi @Mikael Sandberg We've been working hard on moving the power of Opsgenie into JSM for a consolidated user experience. As you can imagine, it takes time as we're looking to not just move things over but make sure we're delivering that power and value in an improved way.  Please add your vote here to help with prioritization: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-9563 

Also, we do have a mobile app for JSM (https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/service-management/mobile-app) which should see some of those Opsgenie type additions as they continue to make their way in.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Shlomi Zeevi November 19, 2021

I would like to know if there's any coming plan to have better build-in integration between Jira Service Management and OpsGenie?

Currently, the integration has some missing features as:

• No support for Next-gen projects
  • A need to set up Webhook
  • A need to whitelist OpsGenie IP address for JSM Premium
  • No way to have an internal comment in JSM when you add an alert note on OpsGenie
Cathi Davey
Atlassian Team
November 19, 2021

Hi @Shlomi Zeevi we have been actively working on bringing the power of Opsgenie into the JSM experience. We have started with adding responders and alerts to the issue view screen which means you can leverage JSM's internal or customer facing comment features. These are currently rolling out:

You'll also be able to see all alerts and your on-call schedules directly within projects.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/enable-on-call-schedules/

on-call.png

Check out our roadmap to see more of our plans.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2021

I'd love to see more templates or home pages. Our organization has a pretty standard landing page when our users enter Confluence. We've tried to dedicate resources to building more of an intranet homepage feel, but have failed. Having templates would be a great starting point towards driving more engagement and collaboration on Home Page design.

hilarydub
Atlassian Team
November 19, 2021

Hi Andy! PM on Confluence Premium here. Space Templates are something that will land very soon for all editions, not just Premium. You'll be able to use them to set up pre-populated spaces so that your KB or project-team spaces can be consistent and your teams can get started on new projects in minutes.

On the Premium side, we are exploring more options for site customization and Confluence home template configuration. This is still in very early days, but we can note you down as a potential participant for upcoming research if you'd like!

What in particular would you like to customize or use a template for on Confluence Home? Is it more around look and feel, or featuring certain content or applications, or some combo?

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 25, 2021

@hilarydub Thanks for asking! I'd love to see some templates for creating Confluence home/landing pages that serve as a gateway to the company - tying in the features of highlighting popular pages and content in Confluence, along with widgets to bring external company sites/resources in to Confluence - such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc. Perhaps widgets for local weather, time zones that the company operates in, news feeds, etc. This way people would view the Confluence site as a holistic resource/intranet rather than a collection of pages.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2021

Thanks @Gabby Williams 🙌 My AMA questions are... 

1. What are the benefits of the premium features to teams like Marketing? Are there aspects of these features that marketing teams can utilise?
  2. Are there any other exciting premium features in the roadmap for next year?
hilarydub
Atlassian Team
November 19, 2021

Hi Laura! Confluence Premium PM here.

1. For marketing teams, Jira Advanced Roadmaps would be a huge win for roadmap planning and communication. You could easily track all of your upcoming campaigns and initiatives in one view, which makes communicating to stakeholders and staying on top of deadlines easier for everyone on the team. Automation in both Confluence and Jira would help for things like keeping the marketing backlog in order, or automating pages for recurring meetings.

Confluence Premium Analytics could also be interesting for Marketing teams to keep track of their most active content creators and pages. With page analytics, you can ensure that you're getting the most out of team meetings by checking which version of a page has been read by participants and circulating content beforehand.

2. See my reply above about Guest Users and Automation! Both very exciting and relevant for marketing, especially if you hire external agencies or contractors.

Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 22, 2021

Thanks @hilarydub 🙌  I agree Guest Users and AUtomation for external agencies and contractors are going to be amazing for marketing teams and I'll definitely be keeping a watch out for them! 

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 18, 2021

Is there any plan to include Automatic Confluence Page Archival based on certain criteria ? eg: age of pages/last modified 

hilarydub
Atlassian Team
November 19, 2021

Hi Kishan! Confluence Automation PM here.

Yes, we are absolutely planning for automatic archival, and will include this as one of our automation library templates to make it even easier to get started. Sneak peak here:

9515373f-3d86-4d0e-a984-4519a9f99e4c.png

Like # people like this
Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 21, 2021

This is great, thank you @hilarydub 

1 vote
Answer accepted
Hakeem Olasupo
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2021

Question 1.

Is it possible to change the format of the portal group summary?

Does an email service need to be created for each Issue Type??

Does JIRA Service Desk have a public REST API

Thanks

Cathi Davey
Atlassian Team
November 19, 2021

Hi @Hakeem Olasupo ,

1 - We're constantly looking to improve the user experience - in fact, we recently shipped some enhancements on customizations. There are also some great apps in the Marketplace that can allow you to further tailor the look and feel.  

2 - If you mean for JSM, each project can have an inbound email associated. Check out this transition guide and of course the main docs to get started. 

3 - Yes! https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/service-desk/rest/intro/ 

Thanks for your questions!

Like # people like this
Hakeem Olasupo
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2021

Thanks so much for the response ☺️☺️.

Awesome updates 😊

1 vote
Answer accepted
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2021

Hi @Gabby Williams these are my basic questions to the panel and would like to read the answers:

1. What are the potential bottlenecks we can think of when using the premium features vs already available and installed plugins in the projects?
  2. And how do we address those bottlenecks both as a Jira & Confluence admin and as a Jira project/ board lead?
1 vote
Answer accepted
Ash November 15, 2021

AMA Question: How is Jira looking to evolve and include new methodologies like shape up in the product :)? (a small follow up) Would a hillchart view ever be on the cards? :) T.I.A

Ryan Floersch
Atlassian Team
November 19, 2021

Hi Ash - currently we don't have plans to bring the Shape Up methodology into Jira but we do have a handful of customers that have found ways to make it work within Jira today. We do have big plans when it comes to our reporting/insights development and will have some new ways to view work at the top level coming next year. Stay tunes for more on that as we get into next year! 

Jonni G September 4, 2022

Hi @Ash we've just released this app that is specifically intended to support Shape Up on Jira: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1228986/shape-up-board-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview  Would love to hear your feedback!

1 vote
Answer accepted
Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2021

Thanks @Gabby Williams for sharing ! Nice initiative. Just one quick query, can we post questions more than one time or do we need to consolidate first and then post? Thanks.

Gabby Williams
Atlassian Team
November 16, 2021

You can post as many questions as you'd like! 

Like # people like this
Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 19, 2021

Thanks @Gabby Williams  for your confirmation.

3 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2021

What is Atlassian‘s technical position on why the resolution field is optional by default in CMP? So much of the behavior of the underlying workflow relies on the resolution actually being set. This has to be the number one repeated question in the community. It seems to me that the default would be to always set it to done and then allow the admin to modify that and leverage the transition screen should the team desire this.

2 votes
meshack musembi November 18, 2021

On my side is just a general question, when are we having another premium week? this one has been great! i can say I've learned a lot. thank you to the organizers and cheers to everyone who joined!

1 vote
Stephen Bush November 19, 2021

Any roadmap to include 2FA without also requiring Access? Seems security should be standard. 

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2021

This for any of the experts - seeing as how the JAC doesn't see to be offering much hope for suggestions/bugs/etc. to actually happen regardless of the number of votes an item receives, is there anyway that Premium users could be given weighted emphasis on which items should actually be done? 

It would bring a lot of value quickly to Premium users if they had a real influence on items getting moved to path to be done. 

1 vote
Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 19, 2021

Hi @Gabby Williams , Here are my questions for AMA : Premium Week.

1. What are long term product vision of the premium features ? How Atlassian is planning to move forward in upcoming years? Are there any strategic milestones to achieve for these? I can understand scalability high availability, reliability are the driving factors. Please correct me(if I have interpreted wrong) or add if you something more going forward.

2. If some customers are looking to use premium features for Jira but not JSM , how Atlassian is going to focus on them? What would be the degree of customisations in these cases?

3. I have checked this - https://www.atlassian.com/software/premium. Do you have plans to include more Atlassian Products to include in future and should these be only for those hosted in cloud? 

4. Do you have any immediate or future goals to improve metrics like 99.9% uptime to SLA to something like 99.9999 ? If yes, how are going to achieve this? 

5. Is there by any chance Atlassian is going to offer any discounts on Premiums depending on the required customisation except the one mentioned here for e.g. Jira - https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/pricing?

1 vote
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 18, 2021

In view of compliance and privacy protection and other factors, our enterprise will use Confluence data center for a long time.

It seems that the gap between Confluence DC and Cloud in terms of features, UI, etc. will become larger and larger.

Where is the future of DC? Will it introduce more differentiated functions from Cloud in addition to high availability?

1 vote
Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 18, 2021

@Gabby Williams  what is the benefit of team calendars?  

hilarydub
Atlassian Team
November 19, 2021

Hi Marjorie! PM on Confluence Premium here.

In short, the big value-add of Team Calendars is having all of your work and events in one place. 

Team Calendars is great for tracking things like major project releases, webinar events, and team leave - if you keep all of this in Confluence, it's easy to embed onto your pages and share to stakeholders. Plus, you can easily pull in dates from your Jira Issues or projects to see how they stack up against team availability so that you can adjust your roadmap or deadlines accordingly. 

With the new CalDAV support, you can also easily import calendars from other tools and they'll automatically stay in sync, regardless of where you change or add new events. 

More info here: https://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/team-calendars

Like Marjorie likes this
1 vote
Anna Sakhno November 16, 2021

How I can delete SLA field that we don't use anymore?

Or how can I just rename it?

Cathi Davey
Atlassian Team
November 19, 2021

Hi @Anna Sakhno , which SLA field are you referring to?

Anna Sakhno November 22, 2021

I created few SLAs for the process, but process changed and we need new metrics now. So I create new SLAs, but I can't delete old SLAs. So now I have some SLA fields that we don't use anymore.

0 votes
Luis November 20, 2021

1) Do you have plans to offer Premium features as part of the Cloud Development Bundle? There are new rest API published for Insight but the current options of the CDB do not provide Insight.

2) Do you have plans to offer the same scheduled data extraction features that Jira Datacenter currently provides?

Thank you very much,

Luis

0 votes
Patrícia Fortunato Montenegro November 18, 2021

I'm on it! Thank you @Gabby Williams

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events