Spring 2019 Meetup

Karen O'Keefe April 24, 2019

I was thinking it would be fun to have a Portland Meetup sometime before Summer (that gives us until June 20-ish). When would be a good time to get together--and where? I'm thinking of sometime in mid-May. I work in Beaverton and live in Tigard, but it's not too hard for me to get downtown.

Your thoughts?

Karen

8 comments

Comment

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2019

I would totally be up for an event. I wonder though if mid-May may be too close. You may not get much of a turn out due to people's schedules. Unfortunately, I don't have a great idea for where. I could probably get space at my organization to host it, but I'm in Vancouver and that would probably limit turnout as well.

Like Karen O'Keefe likes this
AyBee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 25, 2019

Spring is my absolute favorite season here in Portland. I highly recommend doing it at an indoor/outdoor venue - moreso outdoor if anyone knows a good place.  Maybe the Japanese Gardens at the top of the hill in downtown? The International Rose Test Garden there is becoming beautiful this time of year, too. I'd be interested in joining this meetup, Karen. I look forward to hearing what you decide. 

Like Karen O'Keefe likes this
Karen O'Keefe April 25, 2019

I wasn't sure where most people work/live. There is also a beautiful garden in SE: http://rhodies.org/xstl/xstl_faq.htm. It's the Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden. One of the prettiest places in PDX. Another good one is the Elk Rock Garden at the Bishop's Close: https://www.elkrockgarden.org/.

Both of these can be reached by bus and have plenty of parking.

Like # people like this
AyBee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 29, 2019

I've  heard a lot about Crystal Springs, but have yet to go. So, that'd be great too!

Meagan April 25, 2019

I'm interested in joining!  I'm in the Canby area, and it's easy enough for me to get to all the places mentioned so far (except Vancouver... *traffic-fueled shudder*)

I especially like the garden ideas!  It's so pretty this time of year!

-Meagan

Like AyBee likes this
Karen O'Keefe April 30, 2019

I like the idea of meeting at a garden. I imagine we might want somewhere we can sit and visit--and knowing that weather is highly changeable this time of year, somewhere that has an indoor space seems like a good idea.

Both the Japanese and Chinese Gardens have such spaces.

https://lansugarden.org/

May 15 - October 14, 10:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.

• Free — Members
  • $12.95 — Adults
  • $11.95 — Seniors (age 62 & over)
  • $9.95 — Students (age 6-18 and college students with I.D.)
  • $37.95 — Family Pass (two adults, two students)
  • Children five and under are free

https://japanesegarden.org/

Summer Public Garden Hours (March 11 – September 30)
Monday: Noon-7pm
Tuesday-Sunday: 10am-7pm
Last General Admission is at 6:30pm

Adult: $16.95
Senior (65+): $14.50
Student: $13.50
Youth (6-17): $11.50
Child (5 and under): Free
Members: Free

What do you think?

Meagan April 30, 2019

A paid park may be restrictive for some folks. Perhaps a public park with a covered picnic area would work? 

Karen O'Keefe May 21, 2019

We're open for suggestions.

JoAnna Black May 7, 2019

Just joined the group, wondering if anything has been scheduled officially?

Karen O'Keefe May 21, 2019

Not yet.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2019

It would be cool if the Portland group could get the back from the dead award for Summit 2020.

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events