Why is my JQL query not matching my Portfolio Plan created using the saved filter?

Ray Gorbea January 22, 2020

We are a SAFe Agile environment and have over 15 teams/projects sources.  I created a JQL Query across the Train to get all issues from all teams.  I filtered down to only give me Epics and the result is 183 issues.  I created a Portfolio Plan using the saved filter however the plan only shows 180 issues.

What is causing the mismatch?

1 answer

0 votes
Roi Fine
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 22, 2020

Hi @Ray Gorbea

You raised a good question that has quite a few possible causes. I'll note all/most of them here. The Portfolio plan shows you a different amount of issues than your JQL filter because you may have:

1. Filter permissions: Is the filter you are using shared with other users that try to access the plan?

2. The release of the issues is excluded: If an issue is assigned to a fix version that is excluded from the plan, then the issue is not loaded (unless it also has another fix version assigned with is included). Issues will show up if they have either no version assigned or at least one (1) version assigned that is included.

3. Issues were explicitly excluded before: Has an issue been explicitly excluded from the plan before? In this case, go to the plan configuration > Issue Sources > Edit sources, and check if the issue shows up as you go through the setup wizard again. If it was excluded, you will see those issues show up as unchecked in the table list.

4. Unintended filtering in the plan UI: Have you accidentally set any filtering, like the release or schedule range? This will filter out some issues or if issues not pending to get scheduled, it would not show up even though it exists.

5. Hierarchy levels/mapping: Anything odd with which issue types are mapping to the hierarchy? is there anything visible on any other hierarchy level?

6. Custom field configurations: Any changes to fields, like the fix version field was removed entirely from the issues? Portfolio checks this field when loading issues to see if it is in an included or excluded assignment. If the whole field is not there, it might cause problems.

If the above options do not resolve your case I would recommend you contact support here: https://support.atlassian.com/

Cheers,

Roi Fine | Product Manager

Ray Gorbea January 29, 2020

Thank you for the information...unfortunately after going through all the options listed none of them resolved the issue.  It seems that the Portfolio plan is very picky about the status of the issues.  When we looked at one Epic that was not in the plan, we noticed it had a status of Closed but had Stories that were still Open.  We decided to Reopen the Epic.  Once open it appeared on the Portfolio Plan.  We then checked another missing Epic.  It was also Closed, but had no Stories at all. We Reopened that Epic, it appeared on the Plan.  There were other Epics showing on the Plan that were Closed, but their Stories were Closed.
We also noticed that by default the Plan doesn't show all issues over the time of the PI.  We had to manually change the setting to view from the last quarter.  There is still missing stories from the plan which we are investigating.

Is there a list of behavior attributes that should be followed to properly view all issues in the Plan?  This should be more user friendly.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events