Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What values are used to calculate Theme "Estimate" and "Actual"?

Ed Guy November 3, 2017

My projects use Portfolio Themes to align Initiatives to the Themes.  Epics roll-up to Initiatives, Stories roll-up to Epics, etc.  We estimate in Story Points and do not capture work hours.

What values are used to calculate Theme "Estimate" and "Actual"?  Summed Story Points?  Issue Counts?  What?  The documentation mentions "sums all backlog items", "actual time spent", "work that has been logged."  So, what is being counted?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 9, 2017

Hi @Ed Guy,

The theme report works with story points as well:

• The estimate is based on the opened issues story point field
  • The actual is based on the closed issues story point field

Cheers,

The Portfolio for Jira Team

Matthew Leach February 1, 2018

Seems like this might need to be reconsidered if teams across a Portfolio have not standardized their story pointing - Team A's 1 pointer may not be the same at Team B's 1 pointer. The current calculation looks like it's geared towards a SAFe environment. 

Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 4, 2018

Hi @Matthew Leach,

I think this is part of a larger problem when reporting with story points, even a basic rollup within the same team is inaccurate (2 stories worth 2SP are not necessarily equal to one story worth 4SP).

That aside, I understand cross-team SP values might change but the possible solutions are limited. A possibility would be to have a per-team "SP conversion ratio" that help manage differences.

Let me know what you think!

Cheers,

Thomas

Matthew Leach February 4, 2018

Agreed on the conversion or maybe even a count of issues option. I think for usability the themes report just needs to make it more apparent how it’s calculated. When I reviewed the documention for it, it’s unclear and I had to go look it up in community responses. Appreciate you taking the time to review. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events