What is plan?

Qais Sami September 13, 2017

Hello,

what does it mean by a plan in the portfolio? Can I treat it as an annual roadmap and add all my products in a single roadmap?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ryan Kearney
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2017

Hi Qais,

The plan can be treated as a roadmap. With the right inputs, like correct estimation statistics and velocity, you have a close estimate to how long the plan will take to execute. You can adjust the inputs and parameters of the plan without committing data back to Jira. More info here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LexaHkZls3g

Qais Sami September 13, 2017

thank you Ryan. Can I create one single master plan for all projects instead of creating many plans? will it be easy to see a big image of what we are delivering?

Ryan Kearney
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2017

Hi Qais,

Yes, the plan will be able to cross projects and give you that big picture. I recommend cloning your prod environment and testing portfolio with that data. The only trick is that the estimation statistics and development methodology needs to be the same accross projects. It won't work if you have one agile team and one waterfall team, since the estimation and work styles are different between projects.

Qais Sami September 14, 2017

thank you Ryan for your valuable support. Sure, I will consider your advice.

thank you

Roi Fine
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 18, 2017

Hi Qais, 

You can think of a Portfolio plan as a large container for issues from multiple boards or projects that you wish to plan and track progress of.

If your organization has multiple roadmaps(different products/work streams) I would recommend to create multiple plans. We recently introduced a new feature called programs, which allow you to connect multiple Portfolio plans to get a high level view of your organization's roadmap.

Cheers,

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events