Updating the Jira Portfolio custom fields via API

David Oyler January 24, 2018

I am building out a SAFe deployment with Portfolio based on the following hierarchy:

Portfolio Epic

Capability

Feature

I want to do a bulk upload into the various levels, but I want to automate the process to update the links without having to update 50+ features manually.   After updating manually, I noted the updated custom fields 19870 and 19753 as being updated to match the parent.   When I try to update the fields via API, one comes back with "not on the appropriate screen" and the other results in "internal server error".

issue.update(fields={'customfield_19870': 'GISCAP-11'})
issue.update(fields={'customfield_19753': 'GISCAP-11'})

I know at least one of the custom fields is locked.   Is there an easy API based way around this restriction?   What changes need to be made in order for API based updates to be successful?   The manual options is not an option based on the volume, plus the potential for human error goes up pretty quickly as the user gets bored.

1 answer

1 vote
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2018

Hi David,

At this time there is no official Portfolio API published.  There are a few open Suggestions to Implement a REST API for JIRA Portfolio:

JPOSERVER-438 - Implement a REST API for JIRA Portfolio

JPOSERVER-1814Publish Portfolio for JIRA Java API

Please vote on both of these and add your use case to the notes to add impact.

Cheers,

Branden

David Oyler January 24, 2018

Thanks.   Posted a comment to JPOSERVER-438 looking a potential workaround.

David Oyler June 26, 2018

cPrime is working on a upstream solution to the problem which will allow API access to update the Parent Link.   Hopefully, something within the FY18Q4 timeframe.

FISICHELLA October 26, 2018

Hello, do we have news from Atlassian about an official and complete API ?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events