Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two portfolios each with a unique project, but also share a project - how to estimate?

Rob Thorpe August 10, 2017

Hello,

I have two separate projects that each have their own portfolio. However, each project shares a third project, in which both portfolios have the exact same tickets from that project.

What is the best way to handle portfolio estimations for that third project, given it's the same tickets? For example, if I just add the project, it's story points will be double counted in each portfolio. Is there a way to let portfolio know to either split the estimate, or, something of that nature?

1 answer

1 vote
Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 15, 2017

Hi @Rob Thorpe,

You seem to have reached an use case not currently covered by Portfolio. Could you expend a little more on why those issues are needed in both Portoflio Plans?

Are those issue being worked on by the same team / team members (or should be at least)?

If those plans are small and have a tight dependency with each other, you could consider grouping those under a single plan.

If the dependencies are minimal you could use earliest start date to ensure some issue are not started before the right date.

Cheers,

Thomas

Rob Thorpe August 15, 2017

The project that is being shared is provided by a 'shared services' team. Both of the projects mentioned need the same features provided by the shared service.

Both projects have different team members. However, the shared services team has the same members accross both projects.

Grouping under one plan is not an option, since they are separate products. We need to have separate schedules. However, this would of course solve my estimation issue.

Any further ideas based on this?

--

Thanks, Thomas.

Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 17, 2017

If the shared project is worked on by the same team with the same configuration then it should be scheduled the same way in both plans.

There is currently no capacity aggregate across plans so this shouldn't have an impact.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events