Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rolled up story point value, counting issues not included in the plan

Christopher Foley January 17, 2020

I have an Epic with >10 issues and two of those issues have a fixVersion set for a release. The plan I have is for that fixVersion and only the two issues are showing under the Epic in the plan, which is correct. The two issues come to 6 story points in total, 3 each. But the roll up figure for the Epic is showing 16, assuming its counting SP for issues not for the fixVersion.

Any thoughts?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 17, 2020

Hello @Christopher Foley

Can you share a screenshot of what you are looking at?

Screenshot 2020-01-17 at 13.55.40.png

Like Fernando Bordallo likes this

In other cases in my plan, it looks to be working correctly, rolled up values are correct. But as you can see in above attachment, the one child (a story point value of 3) rolls up to 16 at the Epic!!

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 18, 2020

Indeed it looks odd. A couple questions:

• are there any other epics in that versions plan with the same situation? (only some of the issues in the epic are linked to the version)
  • are you applying any particular filtering on the view you shared?
Christopher Foley January 21, 2020

I think I found the cause. My View Settings are set to GroupBy 'Team'. So the other issue which should have been part of that Epic (with that fixVersion) was in the plan but was in the Unassigned list (i.e. wasn't associated with a Team). When I assigned the correct team, it moved up into the Epic assigned to the team in question and the Story Points at Epic level made sense. Actually the SP were correct all the time, its just that the missing issue hadn't been assigned a team. See resolved screenshot below.

Apologies for the 'red herring'! Am just getting going with Portfolio for JIRA.

Screenshot 2020-01-21 at 09.40.06.png

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
January 21, 2020

No worries! Thanks for updating the thread. I'm sure this can help others following your same steps in the future 😄

Christopher Foley January 23, 2020

My previous query has been resolved thanks. But I have a related query;

The roll-up feature; issue's story points rolling up to Epic level. What I'm observing is that the roll-up doesn't apply the filters which I have set on my plan, is that expected behaviour? E.g.

I have a 'release' filter set to 2.0.0 in the plan and I have an Epic which has both 2.0.0 issues and 2.1.0 issues. When I expand the Epic in the plan, it shows the 2.1.0 issues, but they are greyed out (which is fine), but the rolled-up story point figure counts both 2.0.0 and 2.1.0 issues. Expected or not?

Christopher Foley January 27, 2020

@Fernando Bordallo do you have any opinion on my previous post with respect to filters potentially not being applied to the rolled up figures? Is it expected behaviour?

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
January 27, 2020

Hello again @Christopher Foley

It does indeed sound odd. I would have similar expectations to you with regard to the filter application in the roll-up feature. However, I am not fully sure how these filters work and on what level they are applied. By looking at the documentation of the roll-up feature (https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolioserver/rolling-values-up-to-parent-issues-968677334.html) it does seem as though the filters that apply to it are set in the "View Settings" and external filters don't apply. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events