Portfolio scheduling is not completing stories sequentially Edited

I am struggling to figure out how to use Portfolio to do release planning in what I would consider the natural intuitive fashion.  In my simple example you can see two issues that I can not figure out how to address.  The item listed as priority #10 is scheduled to start before issues 1-9.  Secondly, the epic is not completed sequentially.  Instead it is split up across several months!

Here is some context to the epics that are contained within this release.

• The team (Analytics) is comprised of 2 developers.
  • A sprint is 2 weeks long.
  • All of my releases have fixed start and end dates.
  • Each developer can perform 8 story points per sprint, totaling 16 story points per 2 week sprint.
  • I have not set the fixVersion in any of the stories and epics.
  • I have only set scoping on all of the stories. I left the scoping on the epic blank as it should be using the sum-up of the story points.
  • There are no dependencies defined between any of the stories/epics.
  • The teams in Portfolio are shared teams, not private teams.  They point to an actual board with a backlog.  That backlog only has 4 sprints defined, yet the portfolio plan needs dozens to schedule the tasks (not sure if this is relevant).

I am relying on Portfolio to use the story point velocity, scoping and priority to suggest the target release.  I would have expected that the work would be scheduled in one sprint if each developer is tasked with a single story.  Alternatively it would take two sprints by the same developer.  However this is not happening.  I have experimented with all of the settings and different permutations in Portfolio but I always end up with the same results.  This problem is not unique to this one epic/story.  It happens with other epics as well that only have a single story. I can only imagine that I am doing something wrong since I can't imagine that this type of scheduling is useful for anyone.

Thank you in advance.

Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 3.54.01 PM.png

2 answers

0 votes
Bree Davies Atlassian Team Nov 27, 2017

Hi Michael, 

If you look at your scope table issue order (when all sorting is turned off), is the story order as you'd like it to be? 'Priority' of issues is derived from the story level, so give this a check and make sure they are in the order of priority you want. 

I would also recommend making manual release assignments for your issues, given you have them set up. Especially if you have an expectation that certain issues should be done as part of a particular release. You don't have to do this, but it will 'force' issues that are assigned to a release to be done in the fixed timeframe you've set on the release. 

In combination with story 'ranking' (or priority), you should get the result you're looking for. 

Please don't hesitate if you have any other questions at all and please let me know if this works for you. 

Thanks,
Bree

"I can't imagine that this type of scheduling is useful for anyone." - TOTALLY AGREE!!

Michael, have you solved it? 

Michael Baj I'm New Here Thursday

I have been told that in order to properly use Portfolio to manage your schedule and backlog, you have to prioritize by Story alone - not Epic.  This is difficult, if not impossible for my business as we do not have a good way to organize Stories in a consistent way throughout our project.  I was operating under the notion that Stories grouped under an Epic would inherit the relative Epic priority, but evidently that is not the case.  It would be great to know if you organize by story alone that you can actually use Portfolio.  I have yet to prove this myself.

So, yesterday I created a project and a few stories to test this, as I also read somewhere. 

Result: same problem. Inumerous tests, configurations.. always the same.

One of the most simple tests I've made that shows the problem: 

- one new portfolio for a new test project

- team with just one person, capacity = 40 hours a week (1 week scrum)

- some stories with 21 hours each

Result

- one story per week 

- remaining capacity of 19 hours a week! Incredible.. 

- if you have the last story of your backlog with less than 19 hours, it will put it in front of all the others.. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Josh Frank
Posted Dec 01, 2017 in Portfolio for Jira

Portfolio for Jira: Share your tips!

The Portfolio for Jira team wants to hear from you. Share your top tips for building a great Portfolio for Jira plan for a chance to win some Atlassian swag.  Do you structure your teams i...

543 views 6 8
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot